Chapter 46, Don Vito Luciano

"What are you saying?" I ask

"Let's work together, Amber. Let's be friends," Kyle says and raises his hand for a shake. It's then that I suddenly notice the cut on his palm and blood dripping from the wound.

He's... willing to bind our blood?

I look at the man in front of me. He looks enough like Blake that I feel unimaginable guilt. Those silver eyes, almost blue in the pale moonlight and dark hair, hut... He also looks so different from Blake that I feel uneasy. On my toes. Like he might be able to do something unpredictable any moment and there's nothing I would be able to do about it. He could have people gathered in the garden, a sniper. Ready to take me out and nobody would know who did it. It would be so easy to kill me.

So why am I still alive? And more importantly, why's he willing to bind our blood? How would that even work? He already has a co-leader. He can't have more than one... right?

What's he planning? What does he want?

No...

What... what do I have? Kyle is just after something. He likes me because I'm kind and smart? Bullshit. Kyle has only teamed with people if they had something to give him. Now it's up to me to find out what I have that's so valuable.

Calm down, Amber. Now's the time to keep a cool head. Find out as much as you can.

"You already have a co-leader. How would you bind our blood?"

Kyle chuckles and lowers his hand for a moment as he brings his free hand to his lip. "I'm not offering for you to become my co-leader. I'm offering to make you my heir. Besides, I won't have a co-leader for much longer."

"Wait what? Your heir? What does that mean?"

"It means, that if something was to happen to me, you would take my place as leader of Southern Sterling. By sharing our blood, I give you full right to have Southern Sterling after my death. As I said, Amber, I believe in you," Kyle explains with sincere gestures. Blood slowly drips from his wounded hand and I kind of want to get him a bandage for that. A bandage covered in salt. "I'm honest when I say I believe we're on the same side. We both want to make this world better. And we both have what it takes to do that. I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone taking my place unless it's you. I hope this would also help you trust me. By doing this, I'm making myself vulnerable to you."