Chapter 30, The Lonely Island

After a fifteen minute drive through the forest, the driver has us emerging from the forest and park in front of a bay

After a fifteen minute drive through the forest, the driver has us emerging from the forest and park in front of a bay. Through the tinted window, I spot a few steps leading to a small wooden dock on the water and a very expensive looking boat next to it. It's not a large boat, but I can tell it's worth a fortune.

"Have we arrived?" I ask Xavier.

"Almost," My husband replies before getting out and opening the door for me on my side. 

"How charming," I smile as I take his hand and exit the car. I have to carry the train of my dress in one hand to prevent it from dragging cross the dirt road. 

Xavier goes up to the driver and thanks her. "No problem. Goodluck" the brunette woman replies before handing me a strange, almost knowing smile, "You'll need it." Before I follow Xavier down to the boat, I spot the name on her badge: Miss Shmit.

Xavier still holds on to my hand as we walk down the steps and towards the wooden dock. "It looks old," I comment.

"Well, the Northern family has had claim to these lands for hundreds of years. We were the original gang to settle here if you believe in our history," Xavier explains as he helps me onto the boat. I make sure my dress doesn't get caught on anything. Last thing I need right now is getting drowned as soon as the boat takes off.

"You sound proud while talking about the North," I say and smile at my husband. It's true. Xavier has this glow about him when he talks about the history of our gang. Xavier starts the boat and before I know it, has us speeding towards the small island not too far from here. The wind blows my hair back and I have to squint my eyes too see. 

"Yes well, even though I'm an orphan, the Northern family raised me. I felt part of the Sauvage bloodline. And... after the fire that took the lives of almost every Northerner... When Missus Sauvage cut her hand open to gift me her blood... I decided to take the responsibility of the gang. I was eighteen when it happened. A little older than Blake and Owen when they became leaders, but still... I never felt like a child. I never felt like I had a childhood to begin with... And to be honest, I'm not sad about it. I'd happily trade my childhood if it meant meeting you, Marigold. I'd trade it a thousand times over," Xavier says.