Chapter 54, Fools in love

"Another round?" The barman asks

"Sure," I reply, my answer unconvinced.

I sit slumped at the bar, unmotivated to do anything really. All I could do at the casino when I saw Amber was wave at her. Wave with an unconvincing smile. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do really. I don't hate her, but... She doesn't need me. Nobody needs me and it's embarrassing. When did I fall so low? I went from one of the most feared upper gang leaders of my country to... To whatever the hell I am now.

I wonder if Owen feels the same.

"Good grief, this is as pitiful as pity parties go," Myra says, taking a seat next to me at the bar. The barman hands me my fourth drink while Myra decides to order orange juice.

She isn't wrong. The bar is all but empty this time of day with only a hand full of people spread around, no doubt watchdogs from all kinds of families instead of actual customers. There are no windows so the place looks gloomy with its black and neon blue theme.

"What do you want?" I ask, twirling the ice in my glass of brandy. I don't quite trust her yet, but I've thought things over and there wouldn't be a reason for her not to be honest.

"Have you told Amber yet?"

"About this mysterious password, she's supposed to forget?" I ask, "No. Of course not. I can't even manage a 'hello'."

Myra doesn't respond and when I look up she has that expression I hate so much. Pity. 

"Blake," she starts, "Why are you still here?"

"What?"

Myra takes a sip of her juice, playing with a lock of purple hair as she looks out in front of her. She looks a lot different than when I first met her. Her face is the exact same, her wig still the usual, but... It's like the life is slowly getting sucked out of her.

"You weren't meant for this life, right?" she says, "Kyle was the one that was meant to be a leader. You were just a boy that loved the piano. So, since you have no more purpose in this life, why are you still here? Why haven't you left all of us fools behind and go start a new life? Somewhere peaceful with nice neighbors and a piano to fill the quiet. You could do it, you know. Nobody would-"