Chapter 29, A Long Ride

Xavier and I finish our dance and I'm out of breath

Xavier and I finish our dance and I'm out of breath. Already a new song starts playing and couples are filling the dancefloor. I look over and watch Nessa and Paul waltze pass me. The twins both grab guests to dance with and Daniel... Looks like Daniel while sitting alone and depressed.

I spot Owen at the table and can't help smiling. I'm so glad he walked me down the aisle.

"Xavy..." I start, but my husband raises his hand to stop me.

"No need to ask. Go dance with him," he says.

I grin at Xavier before giving him a peck on the cheek and walking over to Owen where he's in his wheelschair by the table. "Hey, Mister Fancy Coat," I say to get his attention.

Owen smiles up at me. "Hey, Goldy," he greets back.

"Want to dance?" I ask.

"But, I..."

"Oh, just take me hand," I say and pull Owen with me to the dancefloor. Once we've got a good spot, I turn back to Owen and take his other hand as well. We just sway on the spot as I hold both his hands and step in and out. At one point Owen gets fancy and makes the wheelchair rotate so I hold on to his extended hand while I skip around with him. 

"You don't have to do this. This is probably embarrassing," Owen says.

"Trust me, you were worse at dancing before the wheelchair. Now you actually have a unique flare. And I don't have to worry about stepping on your toes," I joke.

Owen laughs and it brings warmth to my heart.

"Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion," I say smugly.

"Oh, so we're back to the Jane Austen quotes?" Owen chuckles - wiping a tear from his eye.

"Of course. I'll always be a fan," I smile.

Owen goes a little quiet. Only a small smile remains when he says: "I don't know any quotes anymore. I only got them from my mom and well..."

I lose my smile and the warmth in my heart goes cold. "Owen, I'm so..."