Chapter Twenty-Nine: Grian

I didn't upload yesterday, and I'm SO SORRY about that!!!

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH-

WC: ~720 (short and late. how wonderful)

Enjoy!

The silence was suffocating. 

Silence on the outside, that is.

Inside, Grian's screaming and flashing warning sirens. 

Inside, Grian's running reasons and possibilities.

Inside, Grian's ignoring Mumbo and Iskall's expecting looks.

"Why?" he finally managed to say, his throat feeling clogged with fear. Iskall gave a half-hearted smile.

"Not all of us are born with wings," he explained. "Those of us who aren't quite as lucky as you, A-K-A everyone on the server, have to make a trip to the End to grab some elytra." 

Oh.

Elytra.

"What does that have to do with me?" Grian asked. 

"You'll make the whole job easier," Iskall told him. "As you can just fly up to the boats."

"And the Watchers?" Mumbo pointed out.

"Well, they never seem to bother us at night," Iskall recalled. "In our previous End-busting experiences, anyways."

"Then let's get going," Grian said firmly, standing up. 

"Are you sure?" Mumbo sounded shocked. "This is dangerous. You could get snatched at any point, the Watchers roam the End just as frequently as mobs around here." 

"I know," Grian replied, unfazed. "And besides, if I get taken, that's not such a bad thing." The Watcher grinned then turned back to Iskall.

"Alright, let's go." 

WHAT DID I JUST AGREE TO-

"Besides, it'll be safer for you all too," Grian pointed out. "The Void won't kill me quite as fast as it will you guys." 

"I don't like this," Mumbo mumbled, joining them.

"Neither do I," Iskall agreed. "As I've specified like five times. Let's go."

And in the boats they went.

This is fine.

I wonder if Zena will be there.

I wonder if she'll attack us.

This feels like a trap.

Who suggested that I come?

Xisuma?

I thought he didn't mind me that much.

Is this a disguised way to shove me back in the End?

I think so.

Wonderful.

Well... I guess it makes sense.

But that doesn't mean I like it.

I'm sailing off to my own demise.

How sickeningly poetic.

The rest of the boat ride, Grian was lost in his thoughts. Mumbo didn't say a word, perhaps sensing that Grian wasn't in the mood to talk. The atmosphere was quiet, eerie, even.

Until a trident whizzed by their heads.

"What was that?" Grian snapped out of his daze, panicked. Mumbo peered into the water with wide eyes, his position benefiting him when a second trident flew straight over him.

"DROWNED!" Iskall's scream came from behind them.

"What do we do?!" Grian shrieked, shrinking down as far as he could.

"Like I know!" Iskall yelled back, a clash following his outburst. Grian glanced back to see Iskall using lightning-quick reflexes to deflect an incoming trident with his sword, earning another earsplitting clash.

"Do we just... go?" Mumbo suggested, whipping out a sword and nearly decapitating Grian.

"No, they won't leave us alone!" Iskall argued. "Darn updates..."

An idea struck Grian.

He put a hand in the water.

And sent a bolt of magic in the ocean.

The sea flashed purple.

And rotten flesh drifted to the surface.

"Well... that worked," Grian mumbled under Mumbo and Iskall's stares. He rubbed his wrists subconsciously, wincing at the internal pain that came with using such a strong blast of magic. Pain was already flaring up, and it wasn't until then Grian realized he was ruining the healing process his wrists were going through. Grian glared at the cyan liquid staining his hands before focusing on the steady splashing of the paddles hitting the water instead of his own blood. 

"Thank you," Mumbo murmured, catching Grian off-guard.

"Of course," he replied. "Death isn't fun." Mumbo flinched, perhaps remembering when Grian was killed.

"I'm sorry that happened," Mumbo told him, his voice, although quiet, cutting through the night's silence. 

"It's fine," Grian muttered with a sigh. "It was ages ago. Don't worry about it."

"By 'ages ago', you mean a couple of days, right?" Mumbo asked with a small laugh. 

"Oh, shush," Grian grumbled. "It feels like it was ages ago."

That's more true than I'd like it to be.

I was only killed what? A day ago? Two?

It feels like it was weeks ago.

"Take a sharp right," Iskall called out, startling Grian. "We're here."

"Down to the stronghold we go."

This is it.

I wonder if I'll survive this.

Or will I be taken?

Well... we're about to find out.

Yay woohoo y'all are gonna kill me because cliffhangers though you guys are probably used to them by now whatever okay byeeeee

-Storm