Chapter Thirty-Nine: Xisuma

Not much to say, except for one thing:

You are not late, no matter who you are or what time you got here, because there is no late in this situation.

Honestly, I can't reply to all the 'I'm late' comments, so I might as well put it in the actual chapter.

WC: ~600

Enjoy!

"I thought only Watchers could have purple eyes,"

Xisuma winced at the statement. It was in fact true, and everyone knew it. 

"Wait, but only Voidwalkers can be Admins, right?" Iskall pointed out. 

"That's a lie," Xisuma said bluntly. "A pretty lie that everyone tells. All Watcher Admins are told to say that they're Voidwalkers as to not inform the actual Voidwalkers that the Watchers can also become Admins. Spreading lies to appear weaker than we actually are."

"So then why did you lie to us?" the hurt in Scar's voice made Xisuma want to go back in time and change what he had done.

"It was just a reflex at that point," Xisuma admitted. "I didn't realize what I had said until it was too late, and at that point I just thought it was for the best."

"If you're a Watcher," Doc said slowly. "Then where are your wings?"

Oh... that.

"There's a thing in the Watcher community called 'defective'," Xisuma explained with a sigh. "The stronger the trait is, the less likely the defective is to have it. Grian and I are both defective."

"Grian has the wings and purple eyes, but is missing the black or white hair and skin color. I have the eyes, but am missing everything else. Another defective I know has wings and white hair, but the wrong eyes and skin. Since the skin is the strongest trait, it's the most likely to be missing from defectives. Purple eyes are the lightest trait, which is why most defectives have them."

"That's a lot to take in," Mumbo pointed out after a moment. "So, you're a Watcher, but a special type?"

"I can't believe we didn't notice something was off about Grian earlier," Iskall said at the same time. "Also, skin color? What do you mean?"

"Mumbo," Xisuma started. "Replace 'special' with 'faulty' and you'd be correct. Iskall, a little-known fact about Watchers is that their skin is a dusty lavender. It's not really known to anyone outside the End because Watchers cover up so much, their skin is forgettable."

"Does anyone else have any confessions they'd like to make before we go?" Ren asked. "Doc? A superpower to kill someone with a glare?"

If Doc really did have that superpower, Xisuma was certain Ren would be dead.

"Alright then," Ren said with a grin, seemingly unshaken by Xisuma's revelation. 

Well... that's weird.

I thought they'd all start hammering me with questions.

Well, they did.

But I thought they'd be... angrier.

Less curious.

More furious.

"You know we still trust you, Watcher or not, right X?" Etho asked. 

"I- uh-"

Why wasn't that an instant 'yes'?

I feel like it should be.

And yet...

"X, you're our Admin," Stress told him. "You held us together despite the attacks, and most of us wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you."

That's not true...

"Thank you," Xisuma replied instead of echoing his thoughts. 

"This changes nothing," False agreed. "We still wouldn't have anyone else as our Admin."

"Not even me?" Iskall jokingly protested. "You wouldn't like me as your Admin?"

"Only for you to learn the codes and remove diorite?" Bdubs snorted. "I'll take Xisuma any day." 

"The server would dissolve into chaotic flames if you were Admin, Iskall," Mumbo pointed out. "X is doing a much better job than you ever could."

"I'd be offended if I didn't agree," 

"Are we all ready?" Xisuma clarified, cutting off the conversation. He waited for the nods all around, before saying,

"Let's head to the stronghold, then." 

It's time to head back to the End.

But this time...

We're approaching the danger head on.

Dangerous Watchers, impending doom, general pain, and possible death...

Here we come.

Yay! Time to go fight a bunch of magic beasts!

-Storm