Chapter Forty-Three: Etho/Mumbo

Mumbo's POV? Been a while since I did that :)

And Etho, of course. Though that's expected, considering the cliffhanger from last chapter ahaha

WC: ~1200 (wow, an actually average and good wordcount? impossible)

Enjoy!

No.

Anything but this.

Well... this is better than death.

Beef drew a sword and charged at Etho. Etho, out of instinct, raised a shield, and shoved Beef away.

If he kills me, do I perma-die?

I hope not.

Beef had already risen up again, and he came at Etho with a sword again. Etho blocked with his sword, but was astonished by the new and sudden speed and reflexes Beef had.

Watcher strength.

Great.

Although Beef had a new advantage, Etho was smart. Etho advanced slowly, able to fend his possessed lover off without actually hurting him.

Beef took advantage of that weakness.

In a swift movement, Beef pushed away Etho's sword away with full force, then slipped his own under Etho's and tried to decapitate the ninja as he was still recovering from the sudden force shift. Etho was barely able to dodge, but earned a slice across his arm that spewed warm blood.

"I don't want to fight you!" Etho cried, feeling sick with the sound of their swords clashing together once again.

"Then let me win," Beef's voice was bittersweet. "Let me win this." Etho hesitated.

I can't do that.

But in his brief moment of stillness, Beef had managed to knock his sword away from him. Etho's head whipped towards the sound of his weapon crashing into the purpur bricks, only to find Beef's swordtip under his chin.

"Now, while I'm like this," Beef said softly. "If I kill you, you will perma-die. Hence why you are forbidden to move." Etho said nothing, just stared down at the blade in fear as it inched towards his neck.

"You work with those pretty friends of yours," Beef continued. "Tell me, dear, what is it that you all want?"

Etho said nothing.

Beef smiled a sickening smile, then moved the blade closer, so that it was actually on his neck. He pressed it in ever-so-lightly, drawing a thin line of blood beneath the fabric.

"Isn't it obvious?" Etho snapped, deciding that stating what should be known would be a smarter decision than death. "Prisonbreak. We just wanted Grian and Xanthus back."

"Xanthus," Beef said slowly, as if the name were something to ponder. "A traitor, right under our noses. I should've known he would be like this, especially considering his brother. Well, I already know what his punishment will be." Etho swallowed lightly.

"And speaking of which," Beef's voice made Etho sick. "Xisuma... another traitor. Traitors don't bear well here. As for you-"

Beef was cut off by being blasted away from Etho, landing with a thump on the purpur stairs.

Etho felt like he was watching in slow motion.

The mask shattered.

Etho whipped around to the source of the blast.