Chapter 2: The Face in the Shadows

Athena's POV
"Miss O'Mara!" I heard a voice call out to me. It was Mr Johns my English lecturer.
"Yes sir" I responded
"Everyone has left Athena, why are you still here?" he asked, "won't you go celebrate with the others?"
"I really don't feel like it sir"
"Athena" he said in a low voice as he sat down across me, "you know, you can't give up just like that. I mean, the world hasn't stopped revolving, life moves on. You have a brother who equally needs your support"
"Mr Johns, I am there for my brother and I won't leave him, I just need some time to myself" I said forcing a smile

Mr Johns was one of the few lecturers who actually cared to ask how I was doing. It had been four months since mom's death, but it still felt like yesterday when we were laying her to rest. I was in the library and it was the beginning of the new year, Brady and Heather had left, I asked them to. Given the chance, they would have stayed with me, but I felt bad because they had been planning for the new year since the beginning of the year gone by.

There were only a few people on campus so, it was quiet but you could tell that they were there. I was thinking about what Mr Johns had told me and decided to go home. We were two hours into the new year but it was still quite dangerous to move. I never liked moving on new year, but for my brother, I would risk it.

I got into my car and started off, I wasn't too far from the University before I saw total chaos.

Great!

I drove passed them and felt kind of safe. Every year, there are terrible commotions in my area back at home, roads are closed and people throw all sorts of things, and I had been caught in one of those things many times before. So, I decided to use a different route, a longer route.

Maybe the long drive paired with some music will help me get my mind off things.

The drive was okay but scary, the road I used looked deserted and was in a sketchy area.

It was dark and I could barely see the area around me when I felt myself drive over something.

I didn't see anything

I kept driving until my car started feeling funny. I had a flat tyre. I parked my car and wondered whether or not I should get out and check. I did. I got out my phone and turned on my flashlight.

"Are you kidding me right now"

I scoffed out. All four tyres were flat, and then it hit me, my tyres were flat, in a dangerous neighbourhood!

I quickly ran back to the drivers side when I heard footsteps. Lots of them. I reached for my door and felt something grab me causing me to screen on the top of my voice.

"Let go of me!" I shouted

"Shhh-shhh" I heard a male voice say as he turned me around and pushed my back against the car

"Now let me get a good look at you"
I could feel his hands on my face and waist which made me sick and I screamed even louder

"Wow! do you have lungs on you" another man said

"Quiet princess, you might want to keep that voice for later" he said and all the other men laughed and cheered making me cry and scream at the same time.

I started to struggle in his grip trying to get away, which made him mad, and landed me a slap to the face.

"You're a coward" I said and spat in his face. He punched me in the stomach which made me crouch and fall to the ground.

He got ready to pick me up and I saw the worst that he could do to me flash before my eyes, when the headlights of a car pulled over. I heard the door open and could see movement but couldn't see the person who came out, they were that blinding.

"Don't you think it's a bit too early for this?" a deep voice said
"We're just having some new year's fun, nothing that interests you" he answered
"I suggest you go have your fun....else where"
"Hey, this doesn't concern you, so I suggest, you get out of here" the other man said
"Get her!" he commanded some man
"Hey!"
"I've never been a fan of men like you. So, while I'm still patient, get lost"

I felt someone pick me up, but was soon in contact with the ground when some man grabbed and threw me. I felt like a toy and my head was spinning, I was weak and everything hurt like crazy.

"Athena!" I heard him call me
How do you know my name?

I had hit my head against the car. I was dizzy and failing to focus. I could hear a lot of noise and everyone was throwing punches at each other, but one stood out. The man who called me. He beat the guy who hit me with so much brutality. I could feel my body giving up when I saw him come closer and caress my forehead and just passed out.
______
"Athena!" I heard someone call me as the ringing in my ear faded
"Where am I?!" I shouted as I quickly sat up and felt Brady hold me
"Wow! You're fine Athena, calm down. You're home" he said

Home? How I'm I home?

"I thought something terrible happened to you sis" Seven said
"Lie down" Brady said pushing me back into bed
"Wait" I said resisting him, "how am I here?" I asked confused
"I found you at the door" Seven said
"At the door?"
"Yah. You were hurt and out cold"
"How did I get there?" I thought to myself
"Umm.... Just a thought, someone brought you" Heather said sarcastically
"Stop that!" Brady said firmly, "What if something bad had happened to her huh?!" he shouted

They both remained silent.
I scooted back into my sheets, as I wondered to myself.

Who helped me?