Chapter 12: Returning to His Heart

Athena's POV
I woke up in pain, but worst of all, I was back in that room. I could feel something clutching onto my hand. I turned to see what it was and saw him. He was right there, besides me.

He had his hand in mine. He was fast asleep.

Why?

Fear took over me and I pushed myself away from him waking him. He was startled awake and went into a full defense position drawing out his gun.

I had never screamed so loud in my life. Hearing me scream brought him back to his senses. He pulled out his gun going into full defence mode, but quickly put it back when his gaze met my unamuzed expression, and just stood there staring at me.

"What's wrong with you?!" I shouted
"You already tried to get rid of me....why I'm I here?!"

"I apologise" he said facing his feet

Why does he look so vulnerable?

"How do you feel?" he asked

"How can you even ask me that when you're the reason why I'm like this!" I shouted

"I never wanted any of this to happen Athena"

"You never want anything to happen. Why did you even allow me to leave when you would just hunt me down? Why, you wanted it for the thrill of the chase? You wanted to show me that you're above me, huh! Is that it?! Come on, speak up! You are always around me like you actually care when all you want is to hurt me?!"

He never did answer me. He stared at me for a while looking sorrowful. He walked out and closed the door behind him. I never saw him again.
_______
It had been two weeks now and I hadn't seen him. His men stopped hounding me but were still there. I was moving around the house, though limping, I could still walk.

For a mafia boss, he had a very clean house. I made myself more acquainted with the place and I must say, it was beautiful. There were amazing views and a huge library. His kitchen was my favourite, I loved to cook and it was perfect.

I walked around the house all day and read quite a number of books. He had a chef who was always on time with my meals. I sometimes wondered why he was doing all of this.

My curiosity was getting the best of me. I wanted answers and the only people around were the scary men. I had a choice, either stay clueless or approach them.

I approached them.

"Um....e-ex-excuse me" I stuttered out.

"Yes ma'am" he answered in a deep voice turning to face me

"W-where is your boss? I haven't seen him in a while"

"He's busy ma'am"

"With what exactly?"

"Work"

"....Why are you here?"

"To protect you"

"But why, I mean, protect me from what, from who? why am I here! in this house. I have a family and a life, I shouldn't even be here"

"The boss has his reasons for keeping you here, but you should know that it's for your own good"

"Why?"
"Answer me!"

"That's all I can tell you ma'am. Do you need anything else?"

"Huh!" I scoffed out, "you know what, screw you" I said walking to my room.

If I couldn't get out of here, the least I could have was answers to my many questions.

It was past midnight now and I couldn't sleep. I was seated at my window reading yet another book, when I saw a car drive in, really fast.