Chapter 31: Living Fantasy

Athena's POV
We were seated in Daniel's room, wrapped in his arms, I could feel my heart racing with every breath I took, which also seemed to be hard. After our dramatic love confession to each other, it was finally time for me to get to know this man.

I held onto him as we lay arms wrapped around one another. With my head placed comfortably on his shoulder, my arm stretched across his broad chest, not wanting to let go, as I contemplated how to begin this dreadful conversation.

"Daniel" I whispered

"Yes my love" he said softly.

"Can I ask you something"

"Sure. Anything"

He was so gentle and sweet even in his speech. To think, a man this big and dangerous could be so loving and gentle.

I sat up to look at him better

"About your.... Job" I said softly.
He looked down, sighing, he knew what was coming. He sat up and some how readied himself for my questions.

"Why do you do what you do Daniel?" I asked plainly, not knowing how else to phrase it.

"It's a long story Athena. But you should know, that my lifestyle was not a choice. I didn't choose to be this feared man" he said holding my hand

There was something about the look in his eyes that made me sympathise with him. He looked.... Trapped. Trapped in a cycle of darkness, that he couldn't get out of.

Cupping my hands and caressing his cheeks, I asked him to tell me everything. Every detail of his life. How it all started, I wanted to know.

*****
Hours later, now past midnight, our long awaited talk was over. To be honest, listening to him explain everything scared me. Listening to everything he had ever done, gave me chills. But I never once felt like leaving his side. Hearing of how he was treated by his own family, never really receiving love, it hurt me and cried, imagining his pain. I now knew Daniel for who he was and not what everyone perceived him to be.

"I want to ask you Daniel.... would you leave; this world, this life, all of this, behind, given the chance?" I asked holding onto his hand.

"It's not that simple Athena"

"But.... You do want to leave this, right?"

"This is all I know baby. I've never known anything other than guns, drugs, money and power"

"But you can leave all this.... For me?" I asked cupping his cheek in my hand

He turned to me and held my cheeks in his palms....

"For you, I'd do anything to put a smile on your face Athena. Even the impossible. Cause that's how much I love you"

With every word that came out of his mouth, a new Daniel emerged. Only now, being this close to him, did I notice how beautiful his eyes were. I always saw this dark smokey eyed man, with such a calculated look in his eyes, but now, I saw a more vulnerable, sensitive man who just craved love and acceptance.

I was happy knowing we were getting somewhere, and I'd do my very best to show him all the love I could possibly give. Because he deserved it.

We went to bed that night or is it morning, who knew, time seemed to have stopped. In each others arms, we lay side by side, comforting one another, loving one another and most of all, not letting go of one another. I was excited to see where our new found fairytale would take us.

_____
The next morning, I woke up head pressed against his forehead. I looked at him, so peacefully asleep. He looked even more handsome when he slept. I kissed his forehead as I got out of bed.

I quietly walked out and ran to my room. Closing the door behind me, I was glued to my door as I felt all sorts of butterflies in my stomach.

"Ugh!"

I complained to myself, feeling my face hot and possibly flashed red. I ran to the washroom and took a hot shower feeling my legs weakening underneath me with every breath.

I got out and stood in front of the mirror. Drying my hair, I stared at myself and felt myself biting my lip as I remembered his kisses. His soft touch and warm embrace. His ever so gentle caresses to my skin. The electricity that surged through my body in that moment. I was going crazy!

I quickly got out and ran to get ready. I wanted to look my very best for Daniel. I stood in my closet as I stared at everything I had. One caught my eye. I through on a floral baby blue dress that really complimented my figure and some nude pumps. I left my hair loose and wet, I never knew why, but it felt.... Flirty, to say the least.

I opened the door to go make Daniel a special breakfast when I saw him, standing right in front of me.

"Good morning miss O'Mara" he said smirking, in his deep captivating voice, making my already composed self weak with just one glance.

I hated and loved the effect he had on me.

I smiled shyly and looked to my feet, playing with my fingers as he stared at me in awe. Almost as if he was scanning me.

"Good morning to you too Don Terranova" I said pulling him out of his trance.

He laughed at the term I had used.

"'Don'?"

"Yes, I've heard your men calling you that, and besides, it suits you, I like it" I said

We went downstairs together with me practically pulling him towards the kitchen. He wasn't willing to eat but I might have forced a few things, just to get my way.

I made him pancakes with chocolate filling and a raspberry glaze to top it off. My guilty pleasure, soon to be his.

For the first time, Daniel and I had a free, open meal together, where we were comfortable to be with each other. I loved his company and I loved him. I not only found my true love, I also found a friend in him. He made me feel so loved, wanted and free. I appreciated his openness with me and I would take good care of him, once he gave me the chance to. The thing is, I still didn't know WHAT my place was in his life. Crazy huh!