Chapter 5: Her Haunting Days

Athena's POV
I was now home and it's like I hadn't left the house ever since I saw him. I hadn't been to class in three days now. Heather was covering for me. I think she made up some lie of me being sick or something, everyone bought it anyway.

I had asked Seven not to leave the house for some time, but he was stubborn, hard head, he never listened to me. Brady and Heather stayed with Seven and I, just to keep us safe.

I was seated at my window seat, reading a book trying to get him out of my head, when I saw a black car drive by.

Is that him?

You're just paranoid Athena.
Every time I thought about it, I couldn't help but remember his voice, he sounded....concerned. Why?

He didn't seem to want to hurt me in any way, I mean, he even brought me home. Why was he so nice to me? Maybe Heather was right, he does want a pet.

I knew I couldn't let an evil man such as him dictate my life and scare me just like that. If he wanted a pet, he would have to try harder than that. So, I decided to go for work, today was my shift anyway, and I couldn't let Mrs Bryant down. I plopped off the seat and ran to the shower, water was just the best solution for things. I threw on my favourite peach floral dress and let my hair loose in its wet curled up state. I never always wore dresses though, they weren't really my thing, but mom always told me to dress more like a lady.
_______
"Good morning Mrs Bryant!" I shouted making my presence known
"Athena dear!" she called out, "how are you? I haven't seen you in a while dear, How're you doing?"
"I'm working through it Mrs Bryant thanks for asking"

Mrs Bryant and my mother were close friends, that's why I worked in her café, also because my mother never trusted just anyone and her café served the best cinnamon rolls and freshly brewed coffee in town. The smell of cinnamon and strong coffee filled my nostrils and made me smile every time. I loved being here, it was such a safe and warm place where I could be with the people I loved, food, coffee and lots of stories from the customers, what more could I ask for!

I went to the kitchen and started working on the chocolate hazelnut cookies. The children loved them, throw a nice glass of warm milk and they were practically begging their parents to stay longer. It wasn't really a way of keeping customers, it was more for Mrs Bryant. She loved children but sadly couldn't have any of her own. She had tried many times with no luck so, her and her husband Pete opened this café to keep them busy. They were already old but the love they shared was beyond me, it was so sweet and just heart warming.

Rose (Mrs Bryant), was arranging the books in the café when I came out. It was almost time to open up shop so I quickly got to cleaning the tables and seeing my rush made Rose chuckle. Seeing her laugh made me happy, she always smiled but there were times when I knew she was just forcing it. She was truly a strong woman, and my biggest motivation.

Rose knew how much I loved turning the sign when opening up so, she let me do it. We had hardly been open when people started to come in.

Here we go!

I loved working here, there was no dull moment at the café, especially from our usual customers who mostly came for the hot tea and gossip. This was Heather's kind of environment. She did work here at some point, but Rose thought she was too much of a story teller.
_______
After a long day, it was finally time to lock up and I was so ready to go home and just sleep.

"Athena dear" Rose called out
"Yes"
"You get going, it's late, I'll lock up"
"No it's fine Rosey, you go. Between you and I, you're the one who needs her beauty rest for her hubby" I said teasingly
"Oh Athena!"
"What! It's true isn't it?"
"Fine, I'll get going, but don't stay too long okay" she said
"Yes ma'am, I promise" I said raising my right hand, "now go go go, I'm sure Pete's missing you already" I said leading her to the door.
"I'm going, I'm going. Take care dear" she said giving me a warm hug and a kiss to my forehead.

I closed the door behind her and turned the sign. I went to the back to put back the books that had been removed by customers when I heard the door bell chime announcing the arrival of someone.

Did Rosey forget something?

"Rosey!" I called. No response
"Um....I'm sorry but we're closed" I said as I walked out

What I saw was the last thing I needed that night. It was him.
I could feel my heart racing. The last time I saw him, it was dark so I didn't get a really good look at him, but now, I saw him up close and in person, he was beyond me. He wore this black suit with a black turtle neck sweater that really showed off his well built body. He had tattoos on his hands and his neck. He wore such expensive looking jewelry and he was heads and shoulders above me. His whole form sent chills down my spine. I wanted to run so bad, but couldn't at the same time. I wanted to scream, but felt numb.

I should have never left the house

"You should really lock the door when you're alone" he said gesturing towards the door. His voice itself scared me

"Athena!" he called out as he took a step towards me. All numbness left me and I grabbed the first thing I saw. The vase.

"Don't you dare come any closer!" I shouted holding it up.

"Athena I swear, I don't want to hurt you" he said with his hands held up in surrender

"Don't want to hurt me? THEN WHAT DO YOU WANT?! Why do you keep showing up everywhere I go?! What's your problem?! You're just looking for something to play with, but I can promise you, I will not be that, so get the hell out of my here...NOW!"

My phone rang seconds later, it was Brady.

"Brady...Brady!" I shouted into the phone hysterically as I ran to the back of the café and locking the door behind me

"Brady he's here at the café, and I swear I don't know what to do, he's here Brady please you need to get here fast I'm begging you please. I'm scared Brady please come fa...st" I said the last part dragging, crying and falling to the floor, I barely spoke an audible sentence.

I cut the call and heard the door bell chime. He had left.