Chapter 41: A Memory Once Lived

Athena's POV
"Happy birthday darling" Jayden said, giving me a kiss on my forehead

Heather and some other friends from our intake were all clapping and popping bottles of champagne in excitement.

"Sooo!" Kayla said, "What are you waiting for, blow out the candles!" she shouted

Everyone cheered as I blew out the candles. I couldn't believe that a year had already gone by. I actually survived.

"You'll be graduating next year Athena" Corbin said, "So, Jayden, when are you popping the question huh?"

Everyone teased Jayden and I. Honestly, it made me feel weird. Jayden just shrugged their questions off. Marriage had never been a serious topic for us. It was a dream, but far from a reality.

My relationship with Jayden was going well, at least, I thought so, but there was something I felt was off. I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

We danced the night away, having fun with our friends. It was late and all the dancing and flashy lights wore me out. I went over to Jayden and whispered into his ear that I wanted to leave. He got up, and saying goodbye to the others, we left.

Reaching my apartment, I changed into my pajamas and went back out to Jayden. It was late, and I wasn't comfortable with him driving late at night, so, I asked him to stay the night.

We lay on the couch, with me comfortably placed on his chest, and watched a movie. The perfect way to end my night. We sat to talk after the movie was done, reminiscing about our day, laughing and cuddling as always, and just enjoying each others company.

We eventually fell asleep in each others arms on the couch.

Ever since I started dating Jayden, he had only showered me with love and made me happy. We had had our fair share of problems, but nothing went unsolved. We were happy.... But, I still felt so, incomplete.

I woke up in the middle of the night, and not waking Jayden up, I got up to drink a glass of milk.

That would help

I sat on the window seat and stared at him, sleeping so peacefully. I found myself thinking of Daniel. To be honest, I hadn't stopped thinking about him.

I couldn't help but wonder how or where he was. It had been a year since I saw him. Did I really hurt him that bad that he just decided to leave? I did feel bad for having hurt him, and I wished I could get a chance to just, talk to him and tell him....

"Tell him what Athena, that you love him but chose another man"

I said to myself.

It was pointless. He wouldn't listen to me. I wouldn't listen to me!

I went back into Jayden's arms, not waking him and fell asleep, choosing to forget about Daniel. Even if it was hard.
_______
The following morning, I woke up to the smell of freshly baked banana cinnamon muffins, scrambled eggs and freshly brewed coffee.

I sat up and saw Jay pouring me a cup of coffee. I smiled, impressed, but also stunned.

I walked to him, wrapping my arms around his bare chest, and kissing him ever so lightly.

"What a sight to wake up to" I said hugging him tightly.

"Good morning princess" he said, "sleep well?"

"Mm hm"

"Come on. Breakfast's ready. Your favourite" he said, leading me to the dining area, with my arms still wrapped around him

We sat to an amazing breakfast, when Jayden had to leave for work. He gave me a kiss on my forehead and grabbing his things, he left. I never had a class that day, so, I would probably just do the laundry and hang out with Heather.

I cleared the table, doing the dishes, I proceeded to clean the house. Saturday was chore day, and I had a lot of those.

Putting on my favourite playlist, to make cleaning less boring, I danced and sang along as I dusted and brushed away.

I had just placed my clothes in the wash when I heard the door bell.

I wondered who it could be at this time of the morning. I went and opened it, but saw no one. I was about to go back inside, when I noticed a package. I picked it up and saw that it was addressed to me. I looked around to see who might have left it there; no one.

Shaking it a bit--

Yes, I was that person who believed in bombs coming in packages.

--I took it inside and locked the door. I placed it on the table and began to examine it further. I opened it slowly and saw clothes and other stuff.

Who would send me these?

I pulled out a note placed on top of the clothes and looked at the contents of the box and realised

"These are mine" I said

"I figured I should return your belongings"

*The note said*

They were my clothes. But, these are the clothes I wore.... at Daniel's place.

I ran to the window in realization, looked around, and noticed a car that was never in our neighborhood. Expensive looking, black as night....

"Daniel" I whispered

Bolting out the door, I quickly ran downstairs to the parking lot, looking for the car I just saw, but when I got there, it was gone.
I held my chest, feeling my heart racing.
Daniel was here, I could feel it in every bone in my body, he was here.

Knowing that he had come here made me feel all sorts of things. I was happy. I was happy knowing he hadn't forgotten me. I was happy knowing he was, well, still alive at least.

Getting back up, I stared at the note, remembering him and the times we spent together. I had already been thinking about him, but now, it's like the memories of him just came rushing through my head, and with them, the desire to see him.

I wanted to see him. I wondered if he hated me and why he was avoiding me. Why did he make himself scarce for so long? Was everything okay?

I found myself worrying about him more than I ever did. I had witnessed first hand, him getting hurt and almost dying. I was scared of losing him. The thought of knowing that he'd be dead just brought tears to my eyes.

"No, Daniel wouldn't leave me just like that"

I took a shower and quickly readied myself, locking up and heading for Heather's.
I wasn't sure what this feeling was, but it was bad. Something told me to find Daniel, and fast.