Chapter 44: Meet, The Don

Athena's POV
Three nights after Claudius had brought me my gown, it was finally time to wear it.

The gala was later that evening and I was going to look my very best for Daniel.

I took my time, showering, shampooing and putting on my make up. I wanted everything to look, perfect.

I slipped into my dress and then realised just how it brought out my figure. I was never one to wear clothes like these, but they sure looked good on me.

I tied my hair into a high ponytail, straightening it, for the first time, wore my heels and got my clutch. I was ready. I stared at my myself in the mirror and wondered how Daniel would react. I'm sure he'd love it.

I was about to leave my apartment when my phone rang.

*Unknown number*

"Hello" I answered hesitantly

"Good evening Athena, are you ready?" the voice asked. I immediately assumed it to be Claudius

"Yah, I am" I answered excitedly

"We will be the ones taking you to the gala"

"Wait, are you like, here?" I asked looking out the window

"Yes ma'am"

"Oh, okay then, I'll be right down" I said, grabbing my things and leaving

I walked slowly down the stairs, I was scared I'd fall.

I got to Claudius and saw him stare at me in amazement.

"What?" I said, examining myself

"The boss will be pleased" he said, opening the door for me

I smiled at his compliment. I wanted Daniel to like it. And I'd use this opportunity to apologise for what I said.

We got to the venue where the event would be held and I was escorted into the building by Daniel's men. Claudius looked at me and wished me luck. I didn't understand why he looked so.... Worried.

Was I even supposed to be here?
Were they going behind Daniel's back?
Come to think of it, Daniel's not the one who invited me, they did, or, I thought they did.

He looked at me like I was his only hope for survival. I could feel something was wrong.

I slowly approached the huge glass doors, guarded by two men dressed for the part. They were covered in tattoos and were big and intimidating. They looked foreign, as one had blonde hair tied in a high ponytail, and other had chestnut hair, shaved in the sides. They wore tight suits that really brought out their built bodies.

The chestnut hair coloured man took my invitation card and stared at it funny and then, glared at me with a winced, unconvinced side eye.

"Lei è con il capo" I heard a deep voice say behind me. I turned and saw Claudius, towering over me.

What did he say?

He nodded and gave me my card and opened the doors. Claudius gave me a reassuring smile as we walked in together.

"Why did they look at me funny?" I asked, as he led me in

"They know the kind of people that belong here, just by looking at them. I guess, you don't look like you belong here" he said, smiling