Chapter 37: Back To Basics

Daniel's POV
I was seated in my study when I heard a knock at my door. It was Mateo.

"Did you find her?" I asked, nervous, as I bolted out of my seat

"No sir"

"Then why are you here?!" I yelled, slamming my fist on my desk

"We found your car sir"

"Where?"

"Just a couple of miles east, along a popular truck stop. There was a crowd of people looking at it. We asked around if they saw who parked it there-"

"And?"

"They said a lady had left it there and went off with a man-"

"A man?"

"Yes sir"

"Who is he? Do we know him?"

"Not yet sir. But we spoke to one of the truck drivers and he confirmed that he was his father and that his son had left with Athena. He added that she was looking for directions and that his son, offered to help her"

"What's his name?" I said, quite angry and baffled with the whole situation

"Jayden Ackerman sir"

How did all this even happen

I knew I had to get Athena back and I wasn't going to have her moving around with some man she met on the side of the road.

I quickly got ready and got into my car. I'd stand a better chance of finding her myself than trusting these delinquents.

I drove to where my car was found abandoned and asked my men to return it home. Mateo pointed me to the truck driver who claimed to be this Jayden's father.

"Excuse me" I said, demanding his attention

"Yes sir, how can I help you?"

"I'm looking for this woman" I said, showing him a picture of Athena, "have you seen her?"

"Yah! She was here earlier this morning. She seemed lost"

"And where is she?"

"Is there a problem sir?"

"That's none of your concern. Where is she?" I asked more firmly

"Well then, I'm afraid I can't help you. She's long gone" he said, proceeding to walk towards his truck, giving me his back

I was angry and frustrated, and his man's failure to cooperate was the last thing I needed.

I marched towards him as my men stood in the way of the other drivers who attempted to stop me, pulled him by the shoulder and slammed him against his truck.

He groaned in pain

"Listen to me old man, I'm the last person you want to give an attitude. If I ask you something, you speak up, that would really make things easier for the both of us, do you understand me" I said between gritted teeth
"Now, I'll ask you again, where is Athena?"

He hesitated, but answered

"I don't know exactly, but she's with my son"

"Tell me something I don't know"

"He's heading to the city" he said, barely catching his breath

I let go of him and walked to my car, slamming the door and driving off.

Athena's POV
"So, tell me about yourself pretty lady" Jayden said

"'pretty lady?'"

"Yes, you are pretty"

"Huh, I never knew country boys were such sweet talkers"

"Really, huh, you know now" he said chuckling causing me to do likewise

"You seem to be deep in thought, is everything okay? You seem.... Troubled"

"Jayden, my whole life is a never-ending race for survival. You wouldn't understand" I said looking out the window

"Try me, I'm a good listener"

"They all are" I said sarcastically

"No really, maybe I ca-" he said, as he was cut off by his phone ringing.

He answered it and I immediately had this strange gut feeling that something was wrong.

"What's the matter?" I asked nervously

"That was my dad. He said some guy was looking for you"
"He took your car and threatened my dad to tell him where you were going"

"Oh no" I mumbled
"Jayden I'm so sorry for dragging you into this"

"Athena tell me something, are you in trouble? Are you running away from someone? What's going on?!" he asked, slightly raising his voice. With good reason to be honest.

"The less you know the better Jayden" I said, unable to face him

"Athena I need to know who I'm giving a ride here, I don't want my family getting involved in some life threatening feud"

"Jayden just stop!" I yelled, raising my hands, "Just drop me off here, I'll find my way"

He was quiet for some time

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you"

"No need to apologise, I'm the one that dragged you into this mess, I should be the one apologising"

"I won't leave you alone, I'll take you to wherever you have to go" he said, giving me a soft smile, making me feel a bit better than I already felt.

He had been driving for hours and we finally reached the city and now, for the first time in a long time, I actually knew where I was.

"Where should I take you then?"

"Jayden, please, you've helped me a lot and I'm so grateful. I can manage from he-"

"Athenaa!" he said, dragging my name, cutting me off, "what did I say?" he said, leaning into me, "I'll take you wherever you want to go, okay" he said, caressing my cheek.

I could feel my cheeks flush red, as I smiled from ear to ear, and mouthed a soft 'thank you'.

I directed him to Brady's house. I wanted to see him because our last encounter wasn't, the best, and I did owe him a serious apology.

We got off and Jayden walked me to the door. I knocked and prayed that he wasn't home.

Shame, the door opened

He looked at me in shock, but what he did next shocked me.

He shouted my name and gave me a big warm hug unable to believe that I was at his doorstep. He let go of me and proceeded to examine me. He showered me with kisses and hugs and I must admit, I really missed them.

"What are you doing here Gracy?!" he said cheerfully

I couldn't speak. It's as if I forgot how to. I felt tears roll down my cheeks as I gave him a big hug. I was home. I mumbled apologies as I cried in the crook of his chest.

"Hey kiddo, it's fine" he said, pulling me away from him and cupping my cheeks in his hands, "I can't stay mad at this cute little face" he said, pinching my cheeks

We all went inside, and after a long emotional moment, we sat to talk and I explained everything that had happened to Brady, with Jayden present.

I didn't reveal much about how I ended up with Daniel or who Daniel really was as Jayden was present. I feared he'd get him into trouble and I couldn't risk that.

Heather came in shortly after and the water works were in again. We cried together and comforted each other. I missed these guys more than I actually imagined.

It was nice to finally be back home; with my people, my family.