Chapter 18: The Beast Uncaged

Athena's POV
Taking Brady's advice and following my ever misleading heart, I got ready to leave for Daniel's place. I was excited to see him again and wondered if he'd be too.

I spent a long time sifting through my closet trying to find something to wear. I had never spent so much time on my clothes before, it was always so easy. But today was different, I was going to see him, and I had to look my very best.

I finally settled for an orange floral print dress. I let my hair fall and for today, applied a little makeup, just for show. I finished the look with white pumps and my favourite purse. I stared at myself and wondered whether Daniel would like what I was wearing.

I was about to step out when my door flew open revealing the last person I wanted to see. Heather.

"Wow! And where are you going all dressed up huh?" she said leaning against the door

"Out"

"Mmm. Not bad, not bad. You look good. Now, who's it for?"

"What?"

"You heard me, who's it for. I know you Athena, THIS, is not like you"

"What do you mean, I'm just going out. Why?"

"Are you? Okay, sure, you go ahead"

Heather would never just let me leave just like that, she loved stories, and this was right down her alley. I knew what she was doing. Whenever she couldn't get me to say anything, she'd just leave me with a simple but torturing statement and I'd always tell her in the end. The funny thing is, I knew this, but it worked every time. To think, by now I'd be immune to her silent torture.

"Fine fine, I'll tell you"

"Mmhhmm"

"But promise you won't tell Seven"

"Promise" she said holding her hand out

"I'm going to see Daniel"

"...Like Daniel...oh Daniel from church or Daniel from down the street?"

I could tell that she wasn't comfortable. Hearing me say his name had her wide-eyed. To be honest, there was really no Daniel down the street, and Daniel from church was a teenager. She knew exactly who I was talking about but couldn't swallow it.

"Heather, I mean Daniel. Daniel Terranova"

"ARE YOU INSANE?!" she shouted
"How? Why would you even...? HOW?!"
"What's gotten into you?! Huh. Did he brainwash you or something? Why would any normal functioning, sane, well informed, well educated person actually take themselves to the lions den?!"

"Heather, you wouldn't understand" I said sadly. I really wasn't expecting her to understand me. She never liked him.

"What's there not to understand?! He's a freak'in MAFIA BOSS! There is a lot to understand about that"

"Heather just stop!" I shouted

"Athena I'm here thinking about you and looking out for you!"

"You're basically insulting him based on his mistakes!"

"Athena! He's a criminal. He chose crime. He's an evil man. He's dangerous"

"You don't know him"

"Wait, where is all this coming from? Don't tell me you...."
"....Athena no" she said covering her mouth
"You like him?"
"NO! I won't allow it"

"What do you mean YOU won't allow it? It's not up to you. You don't even have a say in all this!"

"Athena, THAT man, WILL hurt you"