Chapter 50: Letting Her Go

Daniel's POV
"Your latest conquest is quite bold I'll give her that" she said, entering my study

"Excuse me" I said confused

"That.... Athena, is it, she's got guts. In another life, she'd be a good asset to the mod. With proper training"

"What are talking about?"

"Oh, she didn't tell you"

"Veda don't play with me! What about Athena?!"

"Oh, well, since you asked so nicely, I'll tell you. So, she asked Claudius to set a meeting with me Zara and Phillip. You won't believe what she wanted to talk about. Wait for it.... She asked if we could let you out of the Mafia! Crazy isn't it?" she said laughing

"Did you hurt her?" I asked getting up from my seat, angry.

"Oh calm down. I wish I got to, but we didn't. Happy"

I was stunned at what she said. Athena was trying to get me out. I walked out of my study and called for Claudius. As much as it made me happy to know that she was trying to free me, I was mad at the fact that Claudius yet again, disobeyed me. He went and put Athena's life in danger.

"Claudius!" I growled at the top of my voice.

"He's not here!" she shouted, as she walked passed me
"What do you want Daniel? Huh! To have a family, a wife, kids, the whole package!"

"Shut up" I hissed

"No Daniel. Maybe you've forgotten the world we live in. That fantasy of yours, will forever live in your head. Dad was right, you are getting soft, and it's all because of that woman! We should have killed her when we had the chance"

"Lay a hand on her, and I'll kill you myself"

"Wake up call Daniel, that life, a life with her, will never happen. Understand that! You are not like other people, you don't live a normal life. You don't have a middle class job, with a house on a farm, NO! YOU ARE DANIEL TERRANOVA! the most notorious Mafia boss of all time. You don't need a family. Look at me Daniel, you can't give her everything she wants. She says she loves you, but only just. Being part of this world is not easy and you know that, can she handle it? No. You love her, and if that's the case, then let her go. That girl wants a peaceful life, there is no peace here, you can't give her that. She wants a danger free life, well, this world is full of nothing but danger, and if she can handle guns, and all that stuff, then be my guest, but we both know she can't. Think about it Daniel, this world wouldn't suit her. That's why she's trying to get you out- she can't fit in our world so she'll make you fit in hers"

I listened to everything she said, word for word, and it's not like I never knew any of it, I did. I knew how bringing her into my life would harm her, but I could protect her. I was going to.

Out of everything she said, one thing caught my attention the most, Athena had never said she loved me. I never expected to hear it, but I did feel it. She never said it, not even once, but I felt it, and that was enough.

I left home that afternoon and went to Athena's university. I wanted to see her, to talk to her, hear her voice and take in her scent. I just wanted to be with her, the only light in my life.

Veda's POV
"We have to get rid of that woman Zara. She's really starting to get on my nerves" I hissed

"Calm down Veda, we can't do anything without Gustav's go signal" Zara said

"Then tell him for God's sake! He wouldn't say no you know that"

"I'll speak to Eritrea, you speak to your dad" She said, leaving