Chapter 28: A Reason to Live

Daniel's POV
Spending time away from everything was not new to me. It was a way I could think and just, forget. This time, I was restless. I was restless thinking about Athena. She was alone with no one to talk to or care for her. The last time we spoke, I pushed her away, as I did with everyone who tried to get close to me.

Coming back, I thought she'd not even dare look at me or even care weather I was doing fine or not. Quite the opposite to my surprise. She was visibly angry, but there was something in her eyes as I stared at her. There was concern, for me.

It was new. I was not used to coming home to such a--warm, should I say, welcome. She was angry but with good reason. I had never seen her like that before. We were very distant and she never dared approach me. I got used to it.

I went to her room hoping to make her feel better. I entered her room and saw her crying on the edge of her bed. I approached her slowly and sat beside her. Talking to her felt like a dream. Her soft voice, though nestled softly in her silent weeping, still music to my ears.

It was enough for me just sitting that close to her without her running off, having a normal conversation with her, all these, though small, were more than enough to give me closure.

The rest of the night, well, I can't remember much of it, I guess I was in a trance. Listening to her talk and laugh, in front of me was too much to take in, but I never wasted a second of it.
________
The following day was well, somewhat enchanting. I woke up early as usual and walked passed her room. I stopped at her door but walked on as I thought she'd be back to her scared self and didn't want to risk it.

I walked to the living room and proceeded to be on my way, when I heard....

"Hey hey!" she said, instantly grabbing my attention as I turned.
"Where are you going?" she asked as she placed a bowl of something on the table.

"Huh!" I chuckled
"You're awake" I said practically speechless

"Yeess, but that doesn't answer my question. Where are you going?" she said firmly

I chuckled. "No where important"

"Good! Then join me. I made breakfast for the both of us, come on!" she said cheerfully

I looked at all that she had prepared and stared at her beautifully seated on the right hand side of my seat, and imagined her as my wife, my partner, my everything. It was so perfect in my head and oh, what a dream.

We had breakfast together and talked yet again with her doing most of the talking. I wished this would never end.

"Are you going to be late tonight?" she asked

"I actually wanted YOU to come with me today"

"Where to?"

"Remember I said I'd bring you some company?"

She covered her mouth in excitement, getting up, squealed and ran to give me a hug, nearly chocking me, but it didn't matter. Her skin against mine, for a split second, took my breath away.

She came back to her senses and quickly pulled away. She apologised, but I never wanted her to.

"Go get ready, I'll wait for you" I said

"Okay!" she said, running off

I loved seeing her this happy and I wished for a time when I'd be the reason for her happiness. For her every smile, every grin, every cheerful moment, everything.

We left that morning and went to some café for lunch before going to her friends. It was as if the world had stopped for the two of us. We were close and happy. SHE was happy being around me. It was hard to believe, but it was true. And this much I knew, the more time I spent with Athena, the more I got to know her, and the more I fell deeper in love with her.

Later that day, we met up with her friends. I made sure she was guarded at all times, above all, her safety came first. She ran to them, the only thing she had close to family now, and I saw her face change, she beamed with happiness, and cried in their embrace.

They spoke for a while until she brought them to me. I could tell, they resented me. I could literally feel it radiating from them.

I introduced myself to them, but with no reply, as expected. Athena and I had spoken about this and she explained everything to them and why she had to stay with me. They didn't like the idea of course. And assuring them was not an option.

Athena spoke to them and somehow managed to convince them to come with us as staying at the university was not safe for either one of us. I knew they'd be uncomfortable riding with me, so, I let them go in one car and followed behind them. It was better that way.

We got home with Brady and Heather and judging by their reactions, they approved of the living conditions.

Did they really think I was keeping her in a cage?

I left them gawking at everything and went up to my room. Athena was happy and less... alone, and that gave me peace, more than I deserved.

I had something to deal with that night. Business. I got dressed in my signature black suit and prepared to leave. I walked towards Athena's door and knocked slightly, she answered, and I entered.

"I have something to take care of, will you be fine here?" I asked and she nodded with a soft smile.
"I hope you're both comfortable, if you need anything, please, don't hesitate to ask any of my men downstairs" Brady and Heather were very stiff towards me but with good reason.
"I'll be leaving" I said

"Um Daniel!" she called out. "what time will you be back?"

"I'll be late" I answered

"Oh and Daniel" she called, stopping me.

"Yes"

"Thank you" she said softly, playing with her fingers.

"Anytime Athena" I said as I closed the door behind me.

I went out knowing I'd have a long night. Possibly dangerous, even life threatening. Any other time, I would go ready to die, living each day like it were my last, but for the first time, I had reason to stay alive-- to protect Athena. I was looking forward to coming home, because I knew, she would be right there waiting for me.