Motel California

"I've seen worse" Scott said as we all stepped off the bus.

Stiles frowned at his best friend. "Where have you seen worse?"

Coach blew his whistle. "Listen up. The meet's been pushed till tomorrow. This is the closest motel with the most vacancies and least amount of good judgment when it comes to accepting a bunch of degenerates like yourselves. You'll be pairing up. Choose wisely" Coach held out some room keys in his hand.

"We'll just go in a three" Allison said to Lydia and I.

"And I'll have no sexual perversions perpetrated by you little deviants. Got that? Keep your dirty little hands to your dirty little selves!" Coach yelled out to everyone as I grabbed a room key.

"Lydia?" Allison asked, watching Lydia as she nervously eyes the motel.

"I don't like this place" Lydia said.

"I don't even think the people who own this place like this place" I laughed.

"It's just for a night" Allison shrugged.

Lydia turned around to look at us. "A lot can happen in one night"

~

"Excuse me?" Lydia called out as we stood by the front desk.

An old woman with a crooked smile appeared.

"The card on the dresser says we have a non-smoking room, but somehow all of our towels reek of nicotine" Lydia said.

"Sorry about that, sweetheart"

A number on the wall caught my eye. 198.

"What's that?" I asked. "That number?"

"It's a kind of inside thing for the motel. My husband insists on keeping it up" The woman replied with a creepy smile.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"It's a little bit morbid, to be honest.
You sure you want to know?"

"Tell us" Lydia said.

The woman sighed. "We're not gonna make the top of anyone's list when it comes to customer satisfaction"

"Obviously" I muttered.

"But we are number one in California when it comes to one disturbing little detail" she smirked. "Since opening, more than any other motel in California, we have the most guest suicides"

"198?" Lydia said, her voice hardly audible.

The woman, who literally looked like she'd just stepped off of a horror movie, laughed menacingly. "And counting"

Lydia and I both exchanged looks.

"Well, that's lovely. I think we're just gonna take the towels and go" I said, picking them up and grabbing Lydia's hand, leading us both away from the office.

I didn't want to spend another second with that woman.

"I told you there was something odd about this place" Lydia hissed as we headed to the room.

"I didn't doubt your judgment" I replied, twisting the key in the lock.

"Did you get the towels?" Allison asked.

"Yeah" Lydia said as she took them into the bathroom.

I sat down on one of the beds with a sigh.

"So you'll never guess what we found out" Lydia said as Allison emerged from the bathroom.

"What?" Allison asked, drying her wet hair with a towel.