Part 26-- No Clue

Remi

I'm chilling in my room when Tessa saunters in. 

I mildly regret giving her a key to my room.

"Remi, we need to talk," Tessa declares.

"I had a feeling that's why you came," I stand up from my bed to properly face my friend.

"This is, like really serious," Tessa tells me. Her eyes aren't blank, but they're...dark I think. Tessa's back isn't straight like it usually is. 

"What's stressing you out?", I ask in a gentle tone and pull her over to my couch.

"So I don't know any other way to say this, but here we go," Tessa inhales. "Uh, Arlo wants me to look after John more than usual now so he wants me to secretly hold the title of Queen while you're still technically Queen so John doesn't suspect that I'm a royal while I'm surveilling him mostly against my will."

There's a moment of silence while Tessa and I just look at each other.

"Also Arlo wants me to be Queen and I don't know what to do about that because I really like you and you're like my best friend and I'm don't wanna overthrow you," Tessa spills.

"Touching, and the 'secret Queen' thing is fine, but don't be Queen," I order firmly.

"Fair, I don't want to be a Royal anyway," Tessa shrugs. 

"So...does Operation Secret Queen make you only Queen of John...or what?", I ask.

"No *swear*-ing clue," Tessa shrugs. "Are you sure you're okay with this whole thing?"

"Kind of. I understand where Arlo's coming from in terms of keeping John kind of sane-" I glance over at Tessa and her expression has changed; I think I pissed her off a bit- "sorry, I just mean we have to be safe around John and make sure he's not going to hurt anyone."

"I get that, but wouldn't spreading a message of inclusivity and diplomacy instead of violence help the problem more than sending a telepath to monitor John's mental health?", Tessa rubs her neck with her human arm. 

"I wasn't the one who proposed this plan or the one who agreed to do the thing so this is your crap to deal with," I scold. "Take it up with Arlo."

"That's definitely...logical," Tessa looks down.

"Look, I agree with your more peaceful approach, but it just doesn't work with Wellston. The hierarchy is necessary to keep order in the Force," I try to comfort my conflicted friend. She looks exhausted. What the hell happened to Tessa?

"Is there something else bothering you?", I ask and move closer to Tessa. She looks up at me and scans my face as if to find out if I'm messing with her. 

"Y-yeah," Tessa leans her elbows on her knees and rests her head in her hands. "I just don't know what to do. I don't want to pressure John into making me his confidant because Seraphina is his best friend and why the hell do I have to monitor the unstable ripped guy who could easily crush me?"

"Think about it like looking after Bucky Barnes," I attempt to advise. "And why'd you say 'ripped'?"

"I walked in on him shirtless a week ago when we were hanging out at his place and the image has been seared into my head," Tessa confesses.

"But you liked whatcha saw?", I raise an eyebrow.

"It was...impressive? No, I didn't like it, it was very uncomfortable for me. I don't know what you want to hear," Tessa laughs a bit.

"Like Chris Evans or Tom Hiddleston?", I ask out of pure curiosity.

"Lean Chris Evans," Tessa blushes. "Please stop asking questions, I'm very happily dating Isen."

"Ooh! Does John know?", I press.

Tessa does what she has informed me is a Hansson trademark sigh of disappointment. "Yes."

"Why did you tell him?"

"I wanted to avoid having a conversation with him and I felt obligated to answer his question!", Tessa defends.

Let's hope John will let his guard down around Tessa as easily as Tessa lets hers down around John.

The next monday

Tessa

"Alright, let's try this," I mutter under my breath before catching up to John. 

"Hey, man," John greets with a little smile. "What's up? I feel like it's been forever."

"I think it has," I look away. "Did you do your trig homework?"

"I think I finished most of it," John nods. "Did you?"

"Nope," I shrug.

"Why? Too busy on dates?", John flashes a playful smirk.

"Yes, there have been, wow, just so many dates," I roll my eyes. 

"How are things with you two?", John asks. He seems genuinely interested in my relationship.

"We're good," I bite back a smile.

"I think they're going better then just 'good'. I saw you guys at Civil War and you seemed far too happy to see Captain America's shield in a Volkswagen Bug."

John and I walk into our trig classroom together and it occurs to me that it's quite inconvenient to watch John when I'm sitting in front of him.

The the teacher approaches me, informing me that because I complained that my table partner was distracting to me, I had been moved to the back of the classroom.

Well played, Arlo.

Well *swear*-ing played.

a/n: whooof it's been a while since I posted a new chapter...sorry about that lads. I hope you liked this one and the rest to come!

thanks so much for reading, stay safe, and have a good dawn or day or dusk! :)