Part 18-- Turf Wars

That friday

Just as I walk out of the school and move to go to the gates, someone grabs my right arm and I'm suddenly next to a dumpster in front of Arlo.

"I need you for turf wars today," Arlo growls.

"I have...homework," I force out.

"You have all weekend to do it. I'm driving," Arlo drags me to the student parking lot and pushes me into his super nice car. It's a Mercedes.

Arlo drives us to this empty field in the middle of nowhere where my phone doesn't have service. I really hope I don't get murdered.

A cluster of kids wearing dark green blazers stand across from some Wellston kids...including Remi and Blyke. I internally swear as I step out of the car.

"Hey, I have a new alternate! This is Katherine," Arlo introduces, motioning to me.

"Greetings," I don't even try to smile.

"She doesn't look like she can do much," a girl from another school cackles.

You'd be surprised, babe.

I stand next to Blyke and Remi. 

"Okay, I have so many questions," Remi whispers and Blyke nods in agreement.

"Arlo told me I had to," I nod in Arlo's direction.

"Yeah, he does that," Remi laughs and pats my shoulder. "Have fun out there."

"What?", I raise an eyebrow. "What's that mean?"

"New kids go first," Blyke shoves me out of the Wellston cluster and the girl who cackled at me earlier approaches me.

"Hey there," the girl's eyes glow and I activate my own ability, then make an illusion that she's being attacked by me with big energy blasts in my hands in all of the green people's minds. I force illusion me to get a good hit on my opponent's thigh and she, in the trance state I put her in, staggers a bit and attacks illusion me with little purple glowy throwing knives. Actual me has to dodge 2 or 3 knives, but I'm unharmed as I finally take the illusion down and force the girl to be unconscious. She falls to the ground and her friends immediately come to her rescue.

"She'll wake up within the next minute," I guarantee and step back into the Wellston cluster.

"Damn," Remi and Blyke complement at the same time and Arlo smiles a little bit at me.

Remi, Blyke, Arlo, and 3 other high-tiers take turns fighting the green people, and eventually win. It wasn't entertaining in he slightest, and I spent most of the time panicking that Remi would find out about Arlo's offer to make me Queen.

Remi and Blyke proposed to the Wellston cluster that we go to Barstucks to celebrate our (meaningless) victory, and I just shrugged before being pushed into Arlo's car again.

"You did well, Tessa," Arlo complements. I'm not sure how much I like Arlo using my real name, but I do like that he used "well" as the correct adverb.

"Thanks," I barely whisper.

"Do I intimidate you?", Arlo half smirks.

"I mean, I don't really like that you use my real name and forced me into your car to beat up other high schoolers, but not really," I shrug and take my phone out and I still don't have service. I put in one earbud and started listening to 21st Century Breakdown, which I have downloaded on my phone. Music helps distract from the fact that Arlo's car reeks of his strong cologne. I'm sure if the cologne wasn't so strong Arlo and his car wouldn't smell so bad. 

"Was that the correct answer?", I break the silence.

"I'm not sure what other answer I expected, to be honest," Arlo shakes his head and smiles a bit.

"Hey, isn't Barstucks in the other direction?", I ask when Arlo makes the wrong turn.

"Not the good one. Do you honestly think Wellston students would go to the crappy Barstucks to celebrate a turf wars victory? Hell no," Arlo scoffs.

"Of course, right," I nod. "How could that have slipped my mind?"

My sarcasm seems to amuse Arlo as he lets out a little half exhale half chuckle. 

"I'm told you're a Green Day fan," Arlo breaks another stretch of silence.

"Yup," I nod again and skip "Last Night On Earth" to listen to listen to "East Jesus Nowhere". 

"Me too."

"What?!", is the first thing that comes to mind and out my mouth.

"Yeah. 21st Century Breakdown is a damn good album, definitely underrated."

"I'm gonna be honest here, I can't really imagine you listening to anything other than Beethoven in a mansion parlor that smells of rich mahogany," I remark.

"Huh, thought you would've said screamo," Arlo shrugs. "Here we are."

"Holy hell, that is the nice Barstucks."

"Only the best for victorious Wellston kids."

Arlo and I saunter into the Barstucks (I think Thrift Shop by Macklemore would be appropriate for the moment) and join the other part of the Wellston cluster at a table after ordering drinks.

"Yes, new kid!", a girl with short purple hair cheers. 

"Thanks," I half smile and sit next to Remi.

"Seriously, you did good for your first time," Remi tells me.

"That's what she said," I mumble and Blyke and Remi laugh.

obligatory a/n and social media 

hey lads happy thanks giving to my american readers and happy normal thursday to any of my non american readers! 

follow me on reddit and instagram if you want i dunno:

u/Schlorgan27

Plague_Doctor_Extraordinaire