Part 32-- It's Dark

italics are thoughts/what's going on in someone's head

Tessa

"There's an exit in the back I saw," Isen tells me.

"Okay. How subtly can we leave?", I breathe while putting my mask back on.

"I feel like this would be a lot easier if we both didn't have bright ass hair," Isen rolls his eyes.

"Agreed," I pull my hair off my back. "Alright, let's just leave."

"No no, we have to be subtle," Isen contests. "You go ahead out and I can buy something to see how close they are."

I pause for a moment before shaking my head and standing up to leave. There's a little rack of random things at the threshold of the hall that leads to bathrooms and an emergency exit, so I run my fingers over a few items and snatch a little self defense stick. As I hear Isen walking up to the register, I stalk down the hall, into the bathroom to unwrap the self defense stick, then go out the emergency exit. 

Well, thank god John isn't randomly standing there, I think to myself as I silently close the door behind me. I pull my hood over my head and keep in the shadows so as to not attract attention as I activate my ability to read John's mind.

That was Tessa and Isen. I know it was. *swear*-ers. 

"Sera, I heard the back door open," John mutters.

"I wouldn't worry about it. Probably just some kids getting high," Seraphina shrugs it off.

I'm not so sure. I have to look.

Nope nope nope, no thanks. 

As John's footsteps can be heard, I get into his head to give the illusion that I'm an emaciated 20-something looking woman vaping.

"Oh," John stops in his tracks. "S-sorry."

He retreats back over to the front of the building and while I leave his mind I hear him think, Sera better not say 'I told you so'.

I feel brain activity coming close and Isen emerges from the back door.

"I bought croissants," he smiles.

"Ooh," I nod. "Okay, let's get out of here."

"Should we call for backup?", Isen grabs my arm.

"*swear*, I hadn't thought of that," I muse. "Where's Arlo when you need him?"

"He'll pop out somewhere, just give it a minute," Isen shrugs. 

My phone vibrates and it's a text from Arlo.

Arlo: what the *swear* are you doing? I saw John and Seraphina walking off campus

Me: yeah, sorry. i pissed john off and he threatened isen and then he followed me and isen to a cafe and now i think we're *swear*-ed.

Arlo: you are. good luck.

Me: I will pay you $100 dollars to help us deal with john tonight.

Arlo: how materialistic do you think I am?

Me: not really, i just think you're bored.

Arlo: then why offer the pay?

Me: to incentivize getting your ass over here. now hurry up, john brought reinforcements

"Good lord, Tessa," Isen chuckles.

"Oh, hush," I roll my eyes.

Arlo: I'm a block away

Me: thank hell

"He's close," I tell Isen.

"That's what she said," a female voice makes my heart stop. I look over and see Seraphina, blue eyes aglow, and John standing in the light from a sconce on the wall.

"Oh, jesus christ," I mutter. "Isen, I'd like to be cremated and for Rasputin to be played at my funeral."

"Noted," Isen nods. 

"I just want to talk," Seraphina tells me.

"Your ability isn't necessary for speaking," I raise an eyebrow. "If John wanted to talk he wouldn't have brought his muscle."

"Trust me, Tessa, I don't need muscle," John assures.

"Then why bring Seraphina? She hates me, it's not like she's slap happy about talking to me about your issues," I scoff.

Isen gives off an "oh my god, shut up" vibe just as I inhale to berate Seraphina and John more, so I bite my tongue.

"I'm here to make sure your ass doesn't die," Seraphina's tone is condescending.

"One would have thought that a smart woman like you would try to calm John do--", I'm cut off by Isen elbowing me in the ribcage. I deserved it, but dick move, man.

"I think we can all, talk this through like adults," Isen tries.

"Love, I don't think we're quite there," I reply.

"Diplomacy should always win out over violence!"

"I'm not saying I disagree. I'm saying that diplomacy is...especially challenging right now."

"Hmm, I kind of agree with that," Seraphina straightens her back. "Still, what the *swear* were you thinking?"

"When I ran to make sure he was okay or when I suggested therapy?", I ask genuinely.

"Uhm, both? Are you not aware of his trauma?", Seraphina scoffs.

"He reeks of it, how can I not? I don't know what traumatized him-"

"I do."

"Why aren't you advocating for professional help?"

"What the *swear* is happening?" Arlo saunters out from behind a bush.

¤

..........

look at that...i updated

i know it's been ages, but here's a chapter. i hope you liked it

seriously though, thank you so much for continuing to read this story and all your votes and comments! i love all you lovely readers you're all the best