Part 22-- Mornings.

quick a/n here to let yall know i'm gonna switch pov's a lot in this chapter, so sometimes there will be little sections of tessa's pov or something im sorry if its confusing

The next day...

Tessa

I stretched and yawned when I woke up. Then I checked my phone to see it's 6 a.m., so I decide to go on a short morning walk. I use my ability to make sure Rebecca is unconscious (well, "unconscious" sounds a little creepy...asleep would be better but when does anyone expect me not to be creepy?) while I leave the house and begin to saunter down the street.

Arlo

Something seemed...off when I woke up. I'm not exactly sure what; maybe it was how uncharacteristically early I woke up. I put in my earbuds and walk down to a little hole-in-the-wall cafe to have a nice coffee and a little breakfast alone. After ordering a breakfast sandwich and a cappuccino, I sit at a little booth in the back of the cafe and think while listening to Green Day.

My breakfast sandwich and coffee are ready after only a couple of minutes, and I happily begin to enjoy my food.

But of course I can't be left in peace for one second, and 2 kids from a nearby rival school stalk over to my table.

"Arlo of Wellston, eh?", the guy with dark brown hair starts. His presumed girlfriend wearing obnoxiously high heels and to much makeup snickers.

"What?", I glare at the couple.

"We just wanted to ask how excited you are to face the Maywell in turf wars next week," the guy informs with this crooked, smug, smirk.

"I have no idea how you cannot feel the ebullience and excitement radiating off me," I reply flatly. Just leave me be, damnit.

"Oh you-", the girl's eyes briefly glow, but they quickly turn red and so do her boyfriends'. The couple turn around and robotically exit the cafe.

I'm honestly not sure why I'm surprised when my savior turns out to be Tessa, clad in a turtle neck with an American Idiot t-shirt over it, tucked into black pants and knee high combat boots. She hands the barista some bills, then briefly looks over and nods at me. Her eyes shimmer for a split second and I hear a "you're welcome" in my head.

Tessa

I sit down at the counter and start picking at the cinnamon roll I got while I scroll idly through Instagram. My latte macchiato is handed to me by the much too friendly barista who writes something on a napkin and very subtly slides it towards me. I unfold it and am very flattered to read:

hi there

i thought u were kinda cute ♡︎

text me x

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Alrighty then. What do I do? Should I text him as a courtesy...or tell Isen? Rebecca will be delighted to know some guy at a coffee shop thought I was cute and gave me his number. 

Oh heck. Beck doesn't know I left. I'll text her.

Me: aye sorry i didnt tell ya but i went on a walk do you want anything while im out

Rebecca: its cool and get me a coffee k?

Me: i gotchu but its gonna be a while

I tap my foot to the beat of "American Eulogy" when Arlo comes and sits next to me.

"Barista thinks you're something, eh?", Arlo sips his coffee.

"I honestly have no *swear* clue what he sees," I savor the middle or my cinnamon roll. "I bet you've gotten hit on by many a barista."