XXXIII. Songs for Luke

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

BITS AND PIECES — JP COOPERYou built a home from the pieces of a broken man

You built a home from the pieces of a broken man

A FEW DAYS and one lecture about skipping school later, Olivia found herself falling through a rabbit hole of thorough thought. While things with the band were taking off with regular gigs at Sonny's and a club gig on the way, her personal life was not so much to celebrate. Her and Luke were still on the outs despite their single day of playing nice, Christa had taken a couple days off from school, no doubt related to their prior argument, and her father left a fairly lengthy voicemail that almost made her call him back.

Anthony took a different approach with his message this time. Instead of pleading that she give him a chance, he acknowledged that she had a right to be upset. He showed understanding and proposed that they sit down so they could talk it out. He promised he would listen to both her and Mikey. He wanted to form a relationship again. There was true sincerity in his voice as well.

She was caught between a rock and a hard place—the hard place being the inescapable fact of the past and the rock being the hurdle of her stubbornness. She could either stay in the past or work through her bitterness and talk to him. Mikey made it clear which course of action he wanted to take.

While all of this was going on, Olivia only wanted to talk to one person.

Luke.

Luke Patterson had this special thing about him where he could cheer her up no matter the circumstance. He was the sun personified. He was light. He was life. She looked at him and felt true warmth. He was the kind of person she knew she'd only meet a handful of times in her life. She didn't want him to leave, gone from her life for good.

She didn't want to risk that and that was exactly what she was doing. If she acted on her feelings for him, there was a chance that he'd disappear from her life. But if she kept pushing him away like she was doing now, his disappearance wouldn't be up to chance. It would be a guarantee.

So she found herself sitting in the garage, her fingers grazing the keys of her walnut coloured grand piano. Her notebook, the one that Luke had gifted to her, was open in front of her.

Olivia didn't want to push him away anymore. She wanted his warmth and she wanted him close, hoping that some of his light would somehow transfer to her and by some miracle, she could be his sun.

Her fingers pressed down on the white and black keys. She could feel the notes swirling around her. It had been so long since she had played in the garage all alone.

She felt the melody in her soul, knowing that Luke had left his fingerprints upon it. With heavenly conviction, she began to sing.

"I was in bits
I was in pieces
covered in silence and concrete."