I. The (Not So) Breakfast Club

CHAPTER ONE

HOMEBODY — VALLEYNobody gets to know meGuess I've been living low key

HOMEBODY — VALLEY
Nobody gets to know me
Guess I've been living low key

OLIVIA MONTEZ

The morning sun squeezed its way through the cracks of the blinds, illuminating the particles swirling in the air. The lavender bedroom with walls covered in various posters existed in complete silence, separate from the world outside which was just stirring as the start of the day came about. There was a certain level of peace that filled the air, but that bubble of peace was soon popped by the barking of a shaggy furred golden retriever that went by the name of Solo.

Olivia Montez woke with a groan and turned in her bed, burying her head under her pillow. It wasn't time for her to get up and she refused to leave the warm cave of blankets she laid in when her alarm clock hadn't gone off yet.

The barking didn't cease and Olivia knew that her dog was probably barking up his favourite tree. She was convinced that the neighbourhood squirrels liked messing with the poor guy. They always ran back and forth between the tall trees and the roof of their garage where Solo could see them, but never catch them.

She squinted at the sudden change of light as she pushed her pillow off her face. Sitting up, she rubbed the sleep from her eyes. Her gaze fell on the alarm clock beside her bed just as its blaring siren sounded through the air. With a slight glare, she reached over and smacked the snooze button before it could put her in a bad mood.

With a sigh, Olivia got out of bed, crossed her room, and opened her door. "Mikey!" she called down the hall. Her little brother thundered up the steps and peaked his head over the bannister. "Can you let Solo in, please? His barking is going to wake the dead."

The twelve year old boy rolled his eyes, but nodded anyway. "So bossy," he muttered as he turned to walk down the steps.

"I'm your older sister, I'm allowed to boss you around," she called out before closing her door. She crossed the room again and shut the blinds.

Five minutes later, she found herself sitting at the dining table eating a bowl of cereal as Mikey went on and on about the toy robot he was building with his friends from school.

That was something Olivia was always jealous of—her brothers ability to make friends that actually cared about him. Olivia was never the most outspoken person and she wasn't that good at making friends. All of the friends she did have—if she could even call them that—were made out of convenience. They only tolerated her for the sake of her boyfriend. She knew that the moment they broke up, she'd be dropped from their social circle. They didn't care about her and sadly, it was something she learned to accept.

A honk sounded through the air and Olivia shoved the last bits of cereal into her mouth. "See ya," she said as she walked towards the front door. Her hand ruffled her brother's hair and she laughed as he swatted it away with an annoyed scowl.