XV. Friday Nights and Family Fights

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

A.M. — ONE DIRECTION
We're just swimming around in our glasses and talking out of our asses
Like we're all gonna make it

EARLY IN THE MORNING, Olivia found herself walking through the halls of her house with a single thought in mind. She had been thinking about it since Luke came over to write songs a few weeks ago and she hadn't been able to forget the idea since. Walking into the living room where her mother sat with papers sprawled out around her, she suddenly became nervous. Her mind went over the script she had come up with, hoping by some divine intervention her mom would follow it, and played with the sleeves of her sweater. "Hey Mom," she greeted, making her presence known, "can we talk?"

Sylvia looked away from the paper she was reading and pushed her glassed to the top of her head. "Uh oh, am I in trouble?" she teased.

If she weren't so nervous, Olivia probably would've chuckled at her mother's humour. "No, I just wanted to ask your opinion about something."

"Sure, mija, what is it?" Sylvia moved the papers off of the couch and placed them on the coffee table in front of her. She patted the seat and Olivia sat facing her.

"What's your opinion on the band?"

Sylvia raised a brow. "I think you guys are great," she answered, slightly confused. "You were amazing at Sonny's."

"No, like, what do you think about the boys?" Olivia clarified. "Do you like them?"

"Well, I've only spoken to them a handful times, but they seem like they're good friends to you," the older woman answered with a thoughtful expression. "I think they're sweet guys and Mikey thinks they're the coolest. And they like my baking which is a plus. I'm glad you met them."

Olivia nodded with a soft smile. "Yeah, they're really great." She shook her head and returned to the reason she was in the living room in the first place. "Anyway, how would you feel if I turned the garage into a practice space for us? It's just that we can't always use the music room at school, and that way we can practice on the weekends. We would do it at Alex's house but his parents don't really like the noise, and I thought since my piano was already in the garage, that turning it into a studio wouldn't be so hard and—"

"Take a breath, Livy." Sylvia chuckled, placing a hand on her daughter's knee. "I think it's a great idea."

Olivia looked at her with hope in her eyes. "Yeah?"

"Mhm," Sylvia mused. When she decided to have children, she told herself that she would be their number one fan regardless of what they choose to do with their lives, and if being in a rock band was what Olivia wanted to do, then she wanted to be as supportive as possible. It definitely helped that her band was comprised of four able-bodied teenage boys that she could get free labour out of. "But," she said, causing Olivia to freeze, "I'll only let you do it if you and the boys paint the shop for me."