XII. Coffee and Car Rides

CHAPTER TWELVE

YOUR MAN — DOWN WITH WEBSTERI'll take you all around as long as were on solid groundI'll introduce you to town and never will I let you down

I'll take you all around as long as were on solid ground
I'll introduce you to town and never will I let you down

OLIVIA DIDN'T WANT to go to school the next day. She didn't want to be faced with the inevitable rumours surrounding her breakup with Jason and she definitely didn't want to be in the same building as him. The thought of people staring at her with whispers of judgement leaving their lips made her skin crawl.

As her mother called out her name from the bottom of the staircase, she buried her head under her pillow and groaned. Her bedroom door burst open and Mikey ran in with Solo following close behind.

"Get up!" The twelve year old shouted, jumping onto the bed with their dog.

Olivia tore the pillow away from her face and threw it at her brother. "Dude!" She complained, sitting up. "Quit it!"

"No!" Mikey stuck his tongue out at her as he continued to jump on her bed. "Mom told me to tell you that she knows you don't want to go to school but you still have to! She also told me to wake you up!"

Her hand reached for her other pillow and she hit his legs with it. "I am up, now leave!"

Mikey laughed and jumped off the bed with a thud. "Okay, bossy pants." He pet Solo on the head and walked out of the room, throwing a look over his shoulder at his sister.

Olivia rolled her eyes and greeted her dog before getting out of bed and walking to her closet. If she had to go to school, then she wanted to look good and show Jason what he was missing out on.

After getting ready, she headed downstairs and sat at the table next to her mom. She had her usual bowl of cereal and waited for her brother to finish eating so they could leave. Since Jason would usually drive her to school, she no longer had a ride, leaving her to get one from her mother.

The last thing Olivia expected to hear that morning was a car honking outside their house.

At first, Olivia thought it was Jason and froze in a panic. Mikey and Sylvia had the same thought because they shared a look before racing over to the living room to peak out the window. Both of them deflated in relief when they saw that it was one of Olivia's friends.

"Who is it?" Olivia asked nervously from the kitchen.

"It's Reggie," Sylvia answered in mild confusion. She watched as the boy got out of the car with two cups of coffee and walked up to the house. When he got to the porch steps, Mikey left her side and opened the front door before the flannel clad teen could even knock.

Sylvia walked into the kitchen in search for some left over pastries she could offer the boy, passing Olivia as she stood from the table and approached the door.