XXI. Ringing in the New Year

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

MIDNIGHT MEMORIES — ONE DIRECTION You and me and all our friendsI don't care how much we spendBaby, this is what the night is for

You and me and all our friends
I don't care how much we spend
Baby, this is what the night is for

THE DAYS BETWEEN Christmas and New Year's Eve felt like one big time warp. Everyday felt the same to Olivia and if it wasn't for the nightly phone calls with Luke, she wouldn't know Sunday from Tuesday.

After Luke's visit on Christmas Eve, Olivia found herself completely consumed by the thought of him. There was shift in her attitude towards him. He was the first thing she thought of in the morning and the last thing she thought of when her head hit her pillow at night.

He gave her this anxious feeling in her stomach, one that she didn't mind having, one that filled her with the giddiness of a school girl. She wore his necklace everyday and every single time she saw the piece of gold in the mirror, she broke out in a toothy grin. Even now, as she stared out the window of her mom's car, there was a small smile on her face.

"You know," Sylvia said, snapping her daughter out of her thoughts, "your dad called again."

Olivia's jaw clenched as she the streetlights passed them by. Her father had sent a Christmas gift—a cheap greeting card with a twenty dollar bill in it—to her house and had been trying to get in touch with her after ignoring her (and Mikey's) existence for a year. All of his attempts were ignored with bitter resentment.

Olivia was already nervous about the New Year's party she was going to tonight and she worried that talking about her father would make her nerves worse. She knew her mom was only bringing him up now because it was New Year's Eve. Parties were great distractions. If she was in a bad mood, it would help her forget. If she was in a good mood, she was more likely to have fun. New Year's parties brought about new beginnings, but if you asked Olivia, sometimes new beginnings were bullshit.

With a heavy sigh, Olivia asked, "What did he want?"

"What do you think he wanted, Livy? He wanted to talk to you." Sylvia turned onto Harmony Lane and the car slowed as they approached the Patterson residence.

Olivia's eyebrows raised and she shook her head. "It's been a year. I tried reaching out to him, it's his turn to see what being ignored feels like." Perhaps she was being childish, but she had her reasons, and in her opinion, her decision was justified.

Her mother parked the car in front of Luke's house and she let out a sigh. "I know that things didn't end on the best terms," she acknowledged, "but he's still your father."

Olivia almost laughed at the sympathetic look she was receiving. She didn't care if he was her father, he lost that title the day he walked out on her without a second thought. "Yeah," she scoffed, "he's a pathological liar too."