XLI. Run, Run, Run Away, Baby!

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

ILYM — JOHN K There will be times when your heart will forgetI'll say it over and over againSo you know for sure

ILYM — JOHN K
There will be times when your heart will forget
I'll say it over and over again
So you know for sure

LUKE WAS WELL aware of how passionate he was. He felt things deeper than the average seventeen year old. His highs were as tall as Mount Everest and his lows were as deep as Mariana's Trench. He had always been like that. And while his strong commitment for the things he believed in was usually considered a strength, it also counted as a weakness. Sometimes, he was so passionate that his emotions would blind him of his common sense. 

When Olivia expressed her doubts in their band, he was brought back to every fight he ever had with his parents, flashing before his eyes like a supercut of all of his worst nights. He could recall his mom yelling at him, begging for him to see things from her point of view, and when he found those college brochures, it was like he was fighting with his mom all over again.

All he could feel was a mixture of disappointment, anger, and hurt. It was even worse because Olivia knew how good the band was. She lived through the same experiences as he did and he couldn't grasp how she was willing to give up on something she considered her dream. It felt like she wasn't only giving up on the band, but him too.

Luke didn't go home when he left her that night. He couldn't be bothered to deal with his parents and their inevitable questions about when he'd start to take school seriously, so instead, he took his acoustic guitar from the studio and went to Griffith Park.

Griffith Observatory was a place he'd frequently visit as a child. As he got older, him and his father would go for hikes in the surrounding the area and eventually, they found their own secret spot that overlooked the city. They haven't gone together in a while, but Luke never forgot about it and it became his thinking spot away from his friends and mother.

After his fight with Olivia, he spent hours in this spot, working through his feelings until he no longer fought a war of emotions in his head. When he finally calmed down, he came to the conclusion that while his feelings were valid, he may have overreacted.

Even though Olivia's phrasing wasn't the best, she was still right. The band had booked countless gigs, but none of them brought them closer to the Orpheum. They didn't have a manager. No record label had taken an interest in them. The only thing they had to show for was their extensive repertoire of songs and a steady growing fanbase. While these two things were great, they were hardly enough to build a secure future around.

The more he thought about it, the more he understood. He knew Olivia like the back of his hand, and the one thing that ruled her life was fear. Don't get him wrong, Olivia had grown so much in the last year, but even the strongest people had their moments of uncertainty. She was scared of instability and the unknown. It only made sense that she would feel reluctant about the band and he should've been more understanding in the moment.