XLVI. When the Heart Loves

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

YOU ARE IN LOVE — TAYLOR SWIFTYou can hear it in the silenceYou can feel it on the way homeYou can see it with the lights outYou are in love, true love

You can hear it in the silence
You can feel it on the way home
You can see it with the lights out
You are in love, true love

APRIL, 1995.
THREE MONTHS BEFORE.

"THIS NEXT SONG is called End Up Here." Luke gave the crowd a smile as he adjusted his guitar strap. When he knew Olivia was finished with her water, he put his hand out for the half finished bottle and she placed it in his grasp before walking towards her keyboard. He took a sip and placed it on top of an amp at the end of the stage. "We've never played it live before, so you guys will be the very first people to hear it. Hope you like it."

The sound of drums filled the air and was soon followed by a four part harmony.

When Luke first pitched the song to the band, Olivia wasn't present. She was at one of Mikey's soccer games with her mom and couldn't be at the studio for rehearsal. She had no idea that Luke had even written a new song, let alone one about her.

The boys, on the other hand, saw it coming from a mile away. It was a regular occurrence for Luke to approach them with songs about Olivia and demand that they learn them in her absence.

There had to be about fifty songs written about her that she had no idea existed and they were shocked to find that Luke wanted to perform one publicly.

It's not that any of the songs were bad—Luke was incapable of writing a bad song. The reason these songs were hidden from Olivia was because Luke was scared of her reaction. The majority of them contained confessions of love and promises of forever. He didn't want to freak her out by being too forward.

(Truthfully, it was only a matter of time until Olivia found out about what Reggie affectionately named the 'secret session songs'. They were scheduled to record their demo next month, which meant they'd be combing through Luke's notebook. She was bound to find at least one of them.)

End Up Here was different. It was lighthearted and energetic, and Luke thought that performing a song about how much he appreciated her would be a nice thing to do.

The lights of the stage glistened off Luke's skin as he stepped up to his microphone stand. "You walked in, everyone was asking for your name. You just smiled and told them 'trouble'."

He glanced over at his girlfriend with a smirk and sent her a wink. He relished in the way a smile spread over her face. He always loved her smile, but he loved it even more when he was the cause of it.

"How did we end up talking in the first place? You said you liked my Cobain shirt, now we're walking back to your place. You're telling me how you love that song about living on a prayer."