XXXVIII. Happy Bandiversary!

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

BEGINNING MIDDLE END — LEAH NOBELThere's magic in details, the tender small gestures of loveAnd the way they all add upWill you be my beginning, my middle, my end?

There's magic in details, the tender small gestures of love
And the way they all add up
Will you be my beginning, my middle, my end?

OCTOBER, 1994.
NINE MONTHS BEFORE.

OLIVIA'S LIPS CURLED into a smile as she sunk further into the leather couch. Some slow pop song played over the stereo in the corner of the garage, but she could barely hear it over the rush of blood in her ears. Her breathing was slow and her heartbeat was fast, her mind running wild as her hands lifted and crossed behind Luke's neck. She played with the ends of his hair, tugging them slightly. It had grown so long in the first month of their relationship.

The weeks after the Wilson wedding were filled with Sunday lunches, driving lessons, and countless songwriting sessions. There was a different kind of energy surrounding the pair now that they were officially dating. Knowing someone as a friend and knowing someone as a significant other were two very different things.

In their never-ending honeymoon phase, Luke couldn't get over the fact that he could finally call Olivia his girlfriend. Sometimes he'd catch himself staring at her, wondering what life was before her. He was high on the feeling that being with her gave him. Everything about her was intoxicating and he was obsessed in the best way possible. She smelt like fresh flowers and vanilla, spoke like a full blown symphony, and laughed like it would heal all wounds. Her mind was an intricate puzzle that he was fully enamoured by and he fully believed that that old quote about lovers having the same soul was written about them. He had gotten lucky and he knew it.

Luke pulled his lips away from hers, only lowering his head to kiss the side of her neck.

"Luke..." Olivia's voice rang through the air. There was a hint of warning hiding in her tone.

He smirked against her skin. "Mhm?"

Her eyes flickered open and landed on the coffee table littered with their open journals. So much for songwriting, she thought to herself.

Her thoughts were lost the moment Luke's lips moved to the space between her jaw and her neck, forgetting that they were running out of time and that the rest of the band could walk in at any second.

When he pulled away again, she placed both hands on his chest and gently pushed him away. He pouted at the distance, but propped himself up on his elbows anyway.

"The guys are going to be here soon," Olivia reminded, her hands still tangled in his hair.

"So what?" He ducked his head down to kiss her again. "Let them watch."

Olivia laughed as his breath tickled her skin. "Luke."

"Who knows?" He mumbled between pecks. "Bobby's into some pretty weird things."