<20>

I hadn't been left alone for days and for that i was thankful. I couldn't function unless there was a mass of alcohol in my system and that had Kai on the rocks. He was attentive, cool and calm but i knew on the inside he was just as broken as i was.

It's why i drank when he wasn't looking, cried when he was asleep and why i only smiled when he was watching. I couldn't skip over anything, it played in my mind continuously and i was drowning in it. For a week or two i had been like this, wallowing in the lies and deceit that had been spun around me.

In my worst moments when i had forgotten, i would look to my stomach as if i had never lost what i had, that sent me into my worst moods. Now though, i was trying, trying to calm the sorrow, lift the smiles. For Kai, always for Kai.

He didn't drink, he didn't cry or scream. He only focused on me when i knew his mind was just as wrecked as my own. We continued our covenly business as usual as if we hadn't been undone by the acts of war thrust upon us. I ignored the pitiful looks i would get and continued on.

I sat in my office alone day after day ignoring call's from people who would have never rang me in normal circumstances. Until a name popped up on my screen that i couldn't ignore. Despite what they may be ringing for.

"Hello Love." I sat upright, a sigh of relief and content warming my chest.

"Hi Nik." For once i hadn't needed to force the smile to my face, the simple sound of his voice was enough to make me forget.

"It has been a while hasn't it, i'm afraid your services are once again needed in New Orleans." There is was again, the sound of sorrow but not aimed towards me, i bathed in it. 

"It seems as though the city that never sleeps can't get enough of me." I joked leaning forward on my desk.

"You do have that affect love. Though the need of your presence does not stem from your blooming personality, i fear the conditions are more alarming then that." I had no idea why he sounded so posh to me, probably the lack of communication between us lead me to believe he use to sound like a commoner.

"How urgent we talking buddy?" He took a breath.

"A matter of life or death urgent, my life to be precise." My fists clenched on the table, my breath halting in my throat.

"What's happening Nikki?" Klaus took a moment to gather himself, i heard the harsh swallow and the tap of glass against a counter before he continued.

"Yet again the forces came to threaten my family, this time my daughter. The options were slim and to save her i had to take in something called the hallow. To rid Hope of that evil, i have to eradicate it. Whether it takes me with it or not." 

I paused fiddling with my long sleeved top, i looked to my left seeing the open bottle of bourbon i would have probably finished with in the hour. Instead i chose to close it, tossing it aside as i grasped the phone and willed my legs faster down the hall of the compound.

"The hollow, stories have floated around about it. Especially in this coven, it wont take you. Hope will remain safe as will you Nik." I landed in Kai's office, stopping him mid sentence as he spoke to another Coven leader, for what i could only assume. His eyes trailed after me as i rummaged through the bests books we owned. All hidden away behind Kai's desk.

"You seem certain love." Klaus responded as i flipped a book open, skimming over facts that may have floated away from me over the years. My eyes linked with Kai's as he watched me in amusement, i realized this was the first time in week's i had been motivated to do anything.

I smiled at the thought, i wanted to share this with Kai. 

"Of course i am Nikki, if you may have forgotten, i'm magic's worst nightmare. And the hollow? That's all that keeps it together." Kai rose a brow walking over to me and leaning over my shoulder. He followed the pages as i turned to face him, eyes hopeful and endearing.

"How about a little get away trip to New Orleans?" I asked Kai, he hummed in thought pausing to look at the man who was swiftly leaving his office.

"Oh bloody hell your still with that bloke?" Klaus scoffed making the two of us chuckle whilst Kai sneered in offence. An for a moment it was all okay, every thing was alright and the sky wasn't dark, the tears didn't spill and the day's went on.

"He's my fiancé." I admitted beaming as Kai smirked. 

"Cough twice if you need my assistance." Klaus whispered sending me into a bundle of laughter. I tried to fake a cough to which Kai rolled his eyes at me tugging the phone away.

"Yeah, yeah very funny. Poke fun at kai, what's new." He mumbled not bothering to hide his smile from me.

"Here's the deal Hybrid-"

"Klaus.

"Fine, Keith. We will come to New Orleans and help you once again, some mighty original you are." Kai scoffed as i just watched and laughed, it felt nice to see him relaxed and joking around. I hadn't realized my mood had dimmed him that much.

"You seem ever so killable, i wonder what it would take to finally end your life-"

"I'm ready Kevin, time and place and I'll be there-"

"Enough! Shoo both of you. Kai, alert the coven of our departure, Klaus stay pretty." I hung up the phone bumping kai with my hips to push him away. In Kai fashion he just had to over dramatically fall to the floor.

"Your so mean to me." He whined standing with a flap of his shirt to get the dust off, which there wasn't any of.