<22>

Glass after glass had be poured and laughter had spilled, the time had truly felt frozen as the night washed over us. The soft hum of drowned out jazz played constantly in the back of my mind through out the time i had spent in New Orleans and i welcomed it like a mothers embrace.

I wouldn't call it a second home or a safe haven but i would describe it as peace. There was no lull of Latin or conversations of the newest threat, it was calm and tranquil and i admired it so. Despite the fact i had come to New Orleans for none other then an issue, it had turned out to be what i never knew i needed.

A get away. Serenity.

I had been left to my own devices, that being a lonesome trip to my very own balcony reaching just out of my room. The chill of the air and caress of the wind wrapped around my body as i watched the odd person walk lonely through the barren streets, having drank to much by the way they walked. The stumbled and strolled but in the end they always passed me, heading to where ever they called home for the night.

My mind lead me to my own path, finding a sort of comfort in how i could walk and walk and still never become as lost as i was in my own head. The hum of wild life and the patter of strangers footfall accompanied me all the way until my feet had landed upon the soft sand of an ever so familiar beach.

"Fancy seeing you here." I turned slowly, a small smile creeping upon my face. As per usual when i felt my loneliest Kai had shown up to prove my fears wrong.

A small laugh bubbled inside of me as i walked over to him, linking my arm around his. 

"What has you up, mighty Gemini Leader?" I asked, pulling him down to sit in the sand with me, he did so as we began to watch the waves. He didn't respond for a moment, his eyes dropping to the waves before uneasily landing on me again.

"Did you know Hope can paint?" Was what came from his lips, quieter then a whisper. My breath began to slow. He looked at me sadly, crossing his arms over his stomach.

"She can paint, she can sing, she's a funny little thing as well. And- and she is lovely. She came to me, when you went off with Rebekah, to thank me for saving her dad." Kai paused as tears began to build in his eyes, i pulled him closer wiping them away and situating our bodies closer then they had been in a while.

"When she hugged me my mind switched for a second and it wasn't her in my arms, it was a little brunette boy, eyes as grey as my own with the same full cheeks as yours- I... I-" He began to choke up and still i hadn't spoke a word.

"I didn't want it to end you know? Debated kidnapping her, only lasted a minute." He tried to brush it off with his humour but i never stopped crushing him against my chest.

"We can always try for a child you know?" I whispered pulling my hands through his hair, he shook his head softly.

"I don't want to replace what we had, even if it was all a lie." The same angered expression flooded back onto his tear stained face once again before he furiously wiped them away.

"What do we do know then?" I asked, unsure if we would ever recover from what had happened, this was the first time we had spoken about it properly.

"What we always have done i guess, wing it." He shrugged laying his head down in my lap and looking up towards me. I continued to look out at the waves. Hand caressing his hair with out thought.

"Look where it got us." I shuck my head with a scoff.

"Then what do you suggest?" Kai asked, stopping my hand with his own and bringing it down to his lips. I looked down to him, analysing the way he was tracing my hand with his finger tips.

"Strive." Was my simple response, he paused his movements raising a questioning eyebrow.

"Not for power, or importance but for happiness. To get back to where we were before everything crumbled." He hummed standing with one swift movement and flinging me over his shoulder.

"Sounds great babe." I gripped him for dear life.

"What are you doing?!" We neared the water and panic set in, i couldn't help but feel Deja vu. 

"Going for a swim?" He replied in a duh sort of tone. I added a few things to my bucket list in that moment: buy a new dress (as this one was about to be ruined), con kai into buying me new shoes, kill Malachai Parker, enact my revenge by drowning him.

"Not with me your not!" He began to mumble about how he couldn't hear me, pinching the back of my legs when i would pinch his back. Just when i was going to be plunged into the water a voice rang out.

"Hey you! This is a private beach!" A man with a flash light was running towards us and i could do nothing still being useless over Kai's shoulder. Before i could shout my apologies or cuss him out Kai had bolted in the opposite direction.

I was grumbling in protest at the rocky ride hearing nothing but his amused laugh and soft pants of breath. The guard began to gain.

"They went that way!" I yelled pointing in the opposite direction until a flash of black sped through the sand and sent it hurtling into my face.

"You saw nothing, in fact your going to take the night off." Kai had spun around at the new voice gripping my legs closer to his chest, i couldn't even see who it was. Though by the snarl Kai let out i had a fairly good clue.

"What are you doing here Kyle.