Our Way As Heathens

"Five hundred each. A thousand for the brace. Where do you want them?" Mr. Gold had arrived and questioned Tommy meanwhile switching his attention to me. It was something that he found interesting about me, perhaps he'd even recognize me, thought I didn't. As soon as they appeared as soon as they left when they gave us the bodies and I had the urge to follow them. Anything would be better than here I guess. "I think we could all agree this was our best family reunion of all time." I spoke up and smirked to myself as I nodded at Tommy.

~~~

the so-called Heathens, Mr. Gold's group, walked through Charlie's location and seemed very brightened up by it, maybe it was the chaos they liked or the thick fog that hung around it, but I didn't quite understand the happiness. For me it was the vibe of the dark streets of London lightened up by the casinos and hotels and the beautiful feasts that gave me a feeling of home, clearly different from those people. Anyway, I was chilling quietly on the edge of the flat roof where a sniper was standing next to me and I looked down at Charlie cleaning a few hooks while Mr. Gold was calling out to him.

"I like your yard, Mr. Strong. How much would you take for it?"

"It's not for sale."

"Not for sale? Okay." The conversation was soon over after Charlie made it very clear that they couldn't buy anything and that his yard remained his, so Mr. Gold went on to Thomas and Arthur, who were having a drink together. Jesus, how lonely the two brothers must feel, in this kind of situation John had stood with them and made a very serious remark that made himself and everyone around it laugh, sadly that would never happen again.

"I just took a look around. I like this place." I could hear them talk to each other and made my way silently over the rooftops to get to the location they were at, seeing afterwards that Tommy noticed me and nodded, making me nod back in response. "Fire for melting silver, canal to get it away. How much?" With my hand on my forehead, I shook my head. That man kept trying, it was unbelievable.

"Nothing you see here is for sale, Mr. Gold."

"Oh, everything's for sale, everything. You tell Mr. Strong I'm going to buy his yard." I watched carefully how Tommy would deal with this. I knew he was not easily annoyed, but after his son had been taken away, fortunately also found again, keeping his rage under control was a lot harder for him now.

"This yard has been in his family since they settled." Tommy calmly stated as he blew out the smoke from his cigarette.

"But I've decided to make it part of our deal."

"Charlie?! Charlie come here." Tommy had no hesitation in calling in Charlie and he reluctantly walked up to the four men, already knowing what would happen to his property. "I'm gonna spin a coin for your yard, Charlie."

"You're going to what?" I felt sad for Charlie and the way Tommy acted like the yard was his, but I knew he had a plan so I had to keep trusting him.

"If it's heads.... Abbie here takes all of this with my blessing."

"Tommy?"

"And if it's tails... I fuck your daughter, Mr. Gold." Arthur started to laugh and I found it a tricky plan, although I also let out a soft chuckle. If Gold was a good father, he would say no and save his daughter from Tommy, but if he was a bad father and really wanted the yard, which Tommy clearly didn't see happen, then Charlie's yard was perhaps fucked by this method. "You have three daughters I hear, and Esmeralda is the oldest and also the prettiest, so I'll have her. So make her part of the deal and spin against the yard."

"Tommy, for fuck's sake."

"Here, toss the coin, Mr. Gold." Tommy tossed the coin at Gold who caught it and spun it around in his hand. This was the moment we had been waiting for, well at least I have been waiting for. the choice between a yard or your oldest own fucking daughter.

"No. Please don't believe this is a joke, the coin toss is sacred, yes, Arthur?"

"Sacred." He confirmed, nodding afterwards and I giggled, secretly knowing it was true. Even Alfie and I used it sometimes between the two of us to get things done. However we didn't really believe much in the way Tommy and Arthur believed in it, the coin always was able to make decisions.

"You toss that coin, you take a bet before witnesses, and if I win...."

"Then we'll insist..." Arthur continued the sentences and I silently climbed down to watch from closer up. "That the terms of this agreement wager are fulfilled."

"Toss the coin, Mr. Gold." Gold didn't seem that happy about everything going on and both gentlemen were fighting each other with their silent judgmental stares. Shocked myself, I looked at the man's fingers forming the way to toss the coin and secretly I wanted to stop everything. What if Gold won? What if Charlie lost everything? We couldn't do that to him.... Just before he was about to toss, I noticed that his fingers closed around the coin again and he rested it in his flat hand.

"Tommy Shelby, OBE.... no wager today... but with this penny I will buy a flower to put on your grave... when the time comes." The man held up his hand with the coin in it and then put it away into his jacket. I looked back at what the man had said and I bursted into laughter quickly before putting up a straight face while walking their way.

"And before that time... Please don't again disrespect my friends or their valued property. We missed Christmas, let's have it now. Peace on earth, goodwill to all men!" Gold nodded at me and I nodded back as we all sat down at the long table. Let's just say, a lot of booze would go through today.