Not Breaking This Time

Tommy pushed me aside like I was some sort of fucking annoying piece of paper that was left on the wrong desk and he instead talked with my mother about a subject I was to irritated to listen to. Then out of a sudden Finn walked in. My mind was in the clouds and I couldn't hear probably what he had said, the only thing I could think about was Alfie, who had screwed us over. Again.

"Put 4 cans of petrol in the boot of my car and bring it around. And put cigarettes and a lamp in the box. And fetch Michael. I need him." Tommy ordered and Finn left again with me already afraid of what Tommy knew had happened.

~~~

I knew it was wrong what Alfie did, just, I couldn't let Tommy kill him. Not only because of my fucking stupid love for the man, but also because of business. With fast movements I ran past Tommy, only to be grabbed at my wrist and I was suddenly back at the place I first stood.

"You are going nowhere." Tommy dangerously pointed at me. "Understand?"

I couldn't do anything except for nodding and I desperate had let out a sigh underneath my heavy breathing. My eyes silently glanced at Tommy until he had disappeared behind the door and then my attention switched back to my broken mother. She looked devastated and defeated and I hated the sight, though, I couldn't do much about it. She still thought about her painted being the main reason this all happened, but, how badly I wanted to comfort her, I couldn't tell her who it really was. Tommy had false accused her for a reason and I didn't want to be on his bad side today nor ever.

"Mom, I'm going for a drive. Back to me home in London for a bit. I'll be back in two days or so." All she did was sign for me it was okay with a sloppy hand gesture before she walked over to get a glass full of red wine. Pressing my lips together I forced myself to shut my mouth and I stormed off, trying to find my car. It took a while, but luckily I had found it standing on the streets on the backside of our big building. Man, I hated lying, but I didn't had a big choice, and even if I had told her honestly where I was going, she wouldn't even care in this moment.

~~~

"I asked you to come alone and unarmed." I saw Tommy walking up to Alfie who had jumped out of his car. His face had changed, he didn't look as young as before, but neither old. Not that much time had passed between him and I seeing each other and it made me wonder what was wrong with him.

"Yeah, well, alone I ain't never gonna do, am I?" Alfie's loud voice echoed through the dark, former factory. "And as for the cane, don't worry about it. That is just my sciatica. It always plays up around the winter and the summer solstice." I knew that wasn't true, I could see it in his eyes.

"What have you got for me, Alfie?"

"What did you bring me out here for?"

"It's on the way to somewhere I need to be in a hurry."

"Huh-...."

"What have you got for me?" Tommy asked the question for the second time, demanding an answer.

"Well, seeing as you was prepared to pay such an exorbitant amount for this information, I decided to give you value for money. So, here are the names of all the men in England who I would approach, right, if I had a Fabergé egg for sale. There you go. And then, here's all the men on that list, you know, who would buy the old Fabergé egg even if they knew that that item was stolen, eh-.." Alfie handed over two pieces of paper with Tommy immediately surveying them. "Then in come your curious fucking gyppo question. I won't ask, but, um.... here is a list of the men who would buy a Fabergé because of their wife's obsession." Silent soon followed as he handed over the last piece of paper and Tommy's eyes narrowed.

He had after handed over the money and Alfie quickly wanted to leave. "Oh, yes. Thank you Mr. Shelby. Lovely doing business with you." Alfie acted as if he was going to turn around and as soon as Tommy did the same, both Jews stepped towards him from behind as Tommy check the papers again while standing still. Then it happened, Tommy's eyebrows furrowed and while putting away the lists, I could hear a pistol being loaded and it was aimed at Alfie, though, Alfie's 'bodyguard' did the same.

"You left a name off the list, Alfie."

"Did I?"

"Yeah. I've already spoken to my people in the jewelry quarter, experienced dealers. They tell me there are only three man in Britain whose wives are obsessed with Fabergé. Makes them good customers. You missed the richest one off the list."

"Yeah, well, if you knew already how come you dragged me all the way out into the fucking oggin, mate?" Alfie calmly stated as he glanced up, seeing me sitting on the beams attached to the high ceiling with a concerned face.

"Three reasons. Reason one, by withholding a name that you most certainly know, you proven to me that you have done a deal with the Odd Fellows. It was you who told them about the tunnels. You who told them about the fucking deal with the Soviets. Reason two, the name of the man that you are withholding must be my enemy otherwise you wouldn't be protecting him. He is now a man I can use. Reason three, you have hurt my niece by betraying before, I won't let that happen again."

~~~

Clothing: