The Burning Desire

He handed me a cigarette, but I shook my head still making clear that I don't smoke. He nodded again and lit up another cigarette. Sometimes I couldn't keep up counting how much cigarettes people smoked in my surroundings.

"TOMMY EVERYONE FILLED IT OUT, IT'S TIME!"

"Keep yourself together, you'll be standing between me and Mr. Solomons." I swallowed before nodding and walked behind Tommy to find the assemble room.

~~~

"All right boys, girl, you've now all been enrolled as bakers in the Aerated Bread Company of Camden Town. If anyone asks, that's what you do. You're bakers. The coppers in Camden Town are on our side but north and south, you show them that piece of paper. Tell them you've come down from north to find work. To break strikes. Tell them you're fascists if you have to. Were finding lodging for you but for now, you'll sleep here in the bakery."

Sleeping? In the bakery? Around this man? What was Tommy thinking. I slapped my hand onto my forehead and looked up again. Normally I was good at this work, it was the only thing I did when I was younger, but nobody understood this man was a devil and he had me under is control. Even if he stood a few meters away I could feel the breath against my neck again and the chills went down my spine like it did in the office. It wasn't fair. Maybe I could go home for the night, I should suggest that with Tommy before he left.

"Don't touch any of the bread, it'll most likely explode. Any questions?"

A older man raised his hand and laughed a little to himself, waiting for Tommy to respond. I already knew what was going to happen and shook my head in annoyance.

"Yes?"

"I haven't seen any bread."

Everybody started to laugh except for me, Tommy and Mr. Solomons and he didn't look happy. I on the other hand, started to slow clap towards the man and nodded. His face expression went from funny to scared and backed down a bit.

"What the fucks the matter with you people."

He took a slow step back and lowered his head and he did that again when suddenly the devil stood behind me. I cleared my throat and turned around to face the man casually.

"I have to go past you sweetheart."

I stepped aside from his line and he stormed towards the man that made the stupid joke. Tommy laughed at me for obeying him and I stood next to Tommy again.

"Can I go home tonight, Tommy?"

"No, that is 30 minutes away from here, they need you here to help against intruders."

"Sure, m-huh, that's the reason."

I crosses my arms staring at the scene before me, not giving my time to Tommy who clearly wanted me here for some other reason. Solomons looked mad, which was pretty hot-... nope. Out of nowhere the mad Solomons hit the man to the right of the 'stupid joke' man and he fell to the ground screaming till everything went black for him. He then stepped towards the 'stupid joke' guy and tapped his stick against the left side of his chest.

"He'll wake up. He won't have any teeth left. But he will be a wiser man for it. And the last thing he will remember is your funny little joke. Won't he? RIGHT!!! There are fucking rules here, yeah? There all fucking rules for a fucking reason. Quite simply they have to be obeyed. All right? Rule number one. The distinction between bread and rum.... that is not DISCUSSED!"

He walked around, making sure he looked everybody into his eyes, staring into their souls, till he spoke up again with a calm voice.

Rule number two. Anything that your superior officer says to you or any other fucking superior officers say to you, yeah? NOT DISCUSSED! Rule number three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine. I don't care... for the rest of you fucking miserable, measly lives yeah? Because, I like you, I am also a complete fucking sodomite. Jewish women, or that woman over there."