The Strange Guest

Within minutes everyone was as drunk as possible some couldn't even speak and had to crawl and we had started a bonfire with one another. I was sitting down next to one, warming myself up as I was done drinking because I wasn't planning to get drunk now. The business was way to important for Tommy and Johnny was kind of right about that he should have taken the night of from this bullshit. Though, here we were, having a drunk horse race and people betting on them like crazy while Tommy finally had made his way to the bonfires and drunken crowds.

~~~

"All right, listen to me. Tell Johnny Dogs and his boys to light a fire in the woods, a big one to take meat. And send Finn to watch the gates. Moss is bringing someone."

Nodding, John and Arthur walked off to the task they had and I was stopped by a hand around my wrist.

"Rioney, you have to be by my side, but don't make it obvious so have some fun in there."

"I will." Stepping foot inside the house again, we were right in time for the dance.

"THE BRIDE AND THE GROOM WILL NOW DANCE ALONE!"

Cheering people were heard as I made my way through the crowd to my mother who had stood alone with Grace. I spotted a glimp from the purple dress when she stepped towards Tommy who offered his hand. Together they moved on the same pace, listening carefully to the rhythm and my mother and I couldn't hide a smile. It was beautiful to see that Tommy finally had someone after all this time.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOU MAY NOW JOIN!"

~~~

"Tommy, Arthur, Rioney and Collins. May I introduce you to the Grand Duchess Tatiana Petrovna, from Tbilisi, Georgia. Grand Duchess, may I introduce you to the Shelby Family. Small Heath, Birmingham and Cornwall Terrace, London. And, uh, good luck with this one, Tom."

Our copper had walked away and Tommy stepped a bit closer, pointing at the woman ahead of us.

"Give me the money."

"I was told to give it to Mr. Kaledin."

"Whoever it is up there, he gave the wrong name. We asked him the name and he gave the wrong one."

"What name did he give?" Both, Tommy and Tatiana, calmly watched each other with no emotions shown. Though, she failed and I could spot concern and confusion in her face expression.

"No. I don't trust any of you. Now you give me the money." Tommy shook his head, making his statement more clear.

"I know Mr. Kaledin by sight from Tbilisi. Is his hair dark?"

"The instructions I was given was anyone using the wrong code name was an infiltrator for the Soviet Embassy."

"Just let me go to the house." Her eyes secretly became bloodshot.

"I do not want this shit anywhere near my fucking house!!" Step for step I came closer, stopping when I stood next to Arthur while Tommy raised his voice. A silent moment followed as we watched the woman. "All I know is 'no variations'. That's from Churchill himself. Whoever it is up at the house, he gave the wrong fucking name. And you do this to me on my fucking wedding day." He spoke in a harsh tone.

"The money is in the car, Mr. Shelby. Fetch it out and count it."

"Good. Finn." Finn slowly and carefully opened the door of the car from the Grand Duchess and started counting it with Arthur, me counting in my head as well.

"Yeah, we're good." Tommy first turned around staring at me and I confirmed the count.

"You can go. Moss..." Tommy cleared his throat after inhaling his cigarette and we all stepped away from the scene.

"Can you do it? Can you kill?" I turned my head around and narrowed my eyes, she quickly got the sign and suddenly frightened she stared back at Tommy who the question actually was meant for.

"Moss, you take the 'Duchess' back to Birmingham."

"Right-o Tom. Come on, love. That's right."

~~~

"Rioney, you're free for tonight. Go drink with your mother." I chuckled, patting Tommy on the back before smiling to my mother.

"You're sure?"

"Yes." He quickly disappeared into the crowd and I just shook my head while I made my way to my mother.

"So anybody on your mind?"

"Rioney!"

"O, come on. I saw you staring to the innocent stranger on the opposite side of the table at Arthur's speech." My mother rolled her eyes before taking a long sip from her drink. "O my, there he comes. Good luck mom."

"Wait, how's me hair?"

"Fantastic." Playing a warm smile, I nodded at the man and pushed myself trough the crowd towards the bar. Taking a deep breath, I started to remind myself of the fact I still did not have much emotions. But I was proud I felt more than before all this.

"You have to tell me the reason, otherwise I'll never be able to trust you."

"The truth is, that I slept with the wife of one of the colonists who sat for me. But that was 12 years ago. And the aristocracy don't believe in forgiveness."

"Neither do the Shelbys."

After the slow music, some fast jazz came up and I was questioned by a few musicians who clearly recognized me.

"You're Rioney Gray, ain't you?"

"Yes, I am. Why?"

"Sing with us, please."

"Well, of course, for the married couple." I winked at Grace who stood a few meters away, saying it with a loud voice so she could hear me and walked onto the small podium decorated with a microphone and white curtains behind it. Out of nowhere the room grew quiet and I had to get used to all the attention again. Assassin and singer were totally the opposite things, one unknown, the other famous. It was hard switching all the time when I loved being both.