Chapter 10

"I think you should get some sleep, Clay. You sound tired." George whispered into the phone. It had been getting late and he didn't want to wake his parents that had been in the room right next to him.

"But I want to keep talking to you." I pouted. I was enjoying our late night conversation despite how early we would have to wake up for school the next morning.

"You can talk to me tomorrow you know, I'm not going anywhere." I could hear his smile as he spoke, making my face heat up slightly.

"Yea I guess, I'll still see you at school tomorrow. Bright and early." I turned onto my side, wincing a bit as the pain in my stomach became more apparent from the applied pressure. I had almost forgotten about the strain of events from earlier. George was one good distraction.

"Woah what do you mean 'tomorrow', you aren't going to school."

"Yes I am, why wouldn't I?"

I could hear him shift positions before speaking, "Nick said you aren't. Plus, I think it's good for you. You looked really sick and you need to rest."

"Since when are you and Nick my parents? I need to go talk to him."

George chuckled lightly, "We aren't your parents, we just want to help. Go talk to Nick now."

"Thanks George," I began, clearing my throat before speaking again, "for being with me tonight. It means a lot." I felt embarrassed as silence came from the other end. He took a few seconds before responding to my heartfelt comment.

"No problem, I'm glad I could help. Now get some sleep for me, alright?"

"Alright." I found myself smiling like an idiot.

"Goodnight Clay."

"Goodnight George."

The beeps that indicated the phone call ending made its way into my ear, making me pull the phone away from the side of my face. I let my smile fade before scrolling to Nick's contact and hitting the call button. I was not in the mood for a FaceTime, but a normal call would do just fine.

He picked up after a few rings, "Hey bud."

"Why did you tell George that I'm not going to school tomorrow. Why can't I?"

Nick let out a small sigh, "Clay, you're sick and now your body is weak. You need some rest alright? And before you ask, no I didn't tell George about your dad, you're welcome."

"Thank you. I want to go to school tomorrow though, and how will you get there in the morning?" I flipped onto my back since the pain from my stomach was getting too uncomfortable.

"Since when do you want to go to school? You have always complained about going, why do you all of a sudden want to go back when you are sick and hurting?"

He was right. This was the first time that I found myself wanting to wake up early in the morning just to sit through boring classes all day. All my life I had hated the thought of school, but now that I couldn't have it, I longed for those early mornings and the headache of seven classes that only added more stress.

"I'm not sure, actually. I just want to, so can I please?"

"I'm glad to hear that you want to Clay, but you can't. You need to rest for a day. How are you feeling by the way? How much pain?"

"Ok fine, but I only need one day. I'm feeling surprisingly well, still lots of pain, but I feel less foggy and fatigued." I blew a piece of hair out of the way that had fallen onto my eye.

"Good I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. Did George make you happier as well?"

"Yea, we talked for a long time. He distracted me from what was going on even though he didn't know the full story." A smile crept onto my face again as I spoke of the different conversations George and I had less than 10 minutes prior.