Chapter 28

The funeral service was scheduled to start at noon the next day. George, Nick, and Nick's mom arrived at my house at 9am.

I hadn't been awake when they arrived, yet this time I woke up to George shaking me slightly. He stood over me with a small crooked smile and his hand on my cheek.

"Good morning cutie." He said to me, as I smiled myself. He was wearing black suit pants and a white button up shirt, the top button undone.

"Good morning." I said back, squinting at the sunlight spilling onto my bed. "Why are you here so early?"

"We just wanted to make sure everything was going alright here. And I wanted to be with you today to make sure you were alright." He said back, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Thank you, that's sweet." I said back. I stretched my arms above my head and stood up, looking at the time. It was 11 and the service started at 12.

"Your mom told me to tell you to get Jack's old suit out of his room. Also I brought donuts. I had to stop Nick from eating them all." He laughed, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

I smiled and nodded, making my way out of the room and down the hallway to Jack's room. The last time I had been in there was the day he left.

I slowly opened the door to reveal the untouched room. Dust accumulated on the windowsills and a cobweb hung from the ceiling. His bed was neatly made and his Tampa Bay Lightning poster still hung above his bed.

George followed close behind me and looked around the room as well. His eyes stopped on the picture of me and Jack on his desk from one of our first days of school.

I turned and saw a small smile creep onto his face as he looked. The closet was almost empty, with a few random t-shirts hanging up, a black jacket, an old hockey jersey, and his suit. I grabbed it's hanger and brought it down, exiting the room quickly.

George shut the door behind me and followed me back into my room as I unzipped the plastic covering the suit.

"You'll look so handsome." He whispered as I slowly removed it. The last memory I had of Jack wearing the suit was to our uncles funeral. We barely knew him but our father insisted that we went.

"Not as handsome as you." I whispered back, eyeing him up and down in his half suit. His jacket must have been downstairs, the Florida sun was too strong to be wearing something so heavy.

He blushed at my words as I pulled my t-shirt above my head and swung the white long sleeve button down over my shoulders. George gathered the front of the shirt and started to button it up from the bottom.

His delicate fingers traced my body as he moved upwards, leaving the top button undone like his.

"Thank you, though I do know how to button things." I smirked as I started to pull on the suit pants. They were only a bit tight around my thighs but they worked.

"Oh, really? I just thought you didn't know how so I wanted to help." George laughed back, swooping his hair back to the side.

"You're so helpful." I smiled, buttoning the cuffs on my shirt. I made my way to the bathroom and George followed. "You're like a little puppy just following me around."

"Well what else am I supposed to do? Go downstairs with Nick? I'd rather not." He laughed, watching me as I ran my fingers under the cold water of the sink and attempted to smooth my hair out. "You know, my mom could cut your hair for you, she cuts mine all the time."

"I may have to take you up on that offer, I look like a poodle." My hair fluffed out around my ears with random pieces sticking up, but as this point it wasn't going to get any better. I quickly brushed my teeth and headed downstairs with George.