Chapter 25

Sneaking out to see George got easier the more times I did it.

The first time was nerve wracking. My dad was home, passed out on the couch. It was only about 8pm yet he had been drinking again and fell asleep while watching tv.

It would have been easier to coordinate with George if I had a phone, but the wind had taken the pieces of its remains away, leaving me with nothing.

George not knowing that I was sneaking out to see him was the difficult part.

Sneaking out through my back door while my dad snored loudly on the couch was easy. Yet I realized fairly quickly that I couldn't drive to George's. My dad took my keys as soon as I had gotten home from school that day and had hid them somewhere.

Also, even if I did have my keys, starting the car up in the driveway directly in front of the living room would not go over too well.

My only options were to walk the whole way or use Jack's old bike leaned up against the side of the house. It was rusting slightly from not being covered fully from the rain, but I wasn't going to let that stop me.

I wobbled heavily at first, the muscle memory of riding a bike not kicking in right away. I got the hang of it eventually after almost tipping over into a bush at the end of my driveway.

I peddled fast down my street and out of my neighborhood, my legs starting to burn quickly. I had to take a few breaks during the trip to ease the pain shooting through my legs. I got to his house eventually, dumping the bike onto the front lawn and knocking quietly on the front door.

We started to plan when I would come see him after that.

"My parents aren't home tonight. Would you be able to sneak out?" George asked. We were sitting at our lunch table alone as Nick was with a teacher making up a quiz he had missed.

I finished chewing my sandwich and responded, "I should be able to. What time?"

"I think they're leaving early. They have business meetings early tomorrow so they're just staying at a hotel close to where they are. So whenever really." He said back, stabbing his fork into his container of pasta.

"Sounds like a plan." I gave him a smile and finished my sandwich, crumpling the tinfoil into a ball and throwing it across the table at George. It hit him on the head and landed back on the table. He scoffed and I held back a laugh.

That night I sat in my room trying to do homework to pass the time. Without a phone I had been attempting to do more of the work that was due, yet I still ended up quitting half way through. It was only about 6pm, yet when I got home my dad was in the kitchen with a bottle of alcohol by his side.

I took a break from my work and looked out my window to see the sunset. The sky was filled with a yellow glow that spilled into my room. A small knock on my door broke me out of my trance.

"Come in." I said, averting my gaze to the door. My mom poked her head in through the door, not stepping in all the way.

"He's out cold, if you were gonna go anywhere." She whispered. I nodded and smiled, getting up and slipping my shoes on. I walked quietly down the stairs and slipped out the back door, grabbing the bike and pedaling to George's.

The only light on at his house was his bedroom light. The rest of the house was dark and quiet. I abandoned the bike on the front lawn again and rang the doorbell, almost immediately being greeted by the door opening with George behind it.

He was holding his cat on his hip as he gave me a smile, opening the glass door between us and stepping aside to let me in.

"We've been expecting you." He said in a creepy voice, watching me as I took my shoes off and placed them by the door.

"Oh have you now?" I said back, taking the cat from his arms and holding him against my chest. I pet the top of his head, earning happy meows from him back.

"Wow you hug my cat before you hug me. I see how it is." George joked, stomping up the stairs to his room. I rolled my eyes playfully and followed him, putting the cat down on the couch beforehand.

I shut the door behind me as I entered his room. George was sprawled out on his bed waiting for me to join him.

"Lock it." He said, pointing at the doorknob.

"Why?" I asked, turning to face the door, "Aren't your parents like not coming home tonight?"

"Well yes but I feel like we need to just make it a habit to start locking them." He smiled. I gave him a smile back and locked the door before jumping onto the bed next to him.

His lips met mine quickly, yet I was the one who sped the pace up this time, not him. He matched my energy quickly his hands sliding up my shirt.

It went on like that for a while, our lips crashing into each other, before he tugged at the bottom of my shirt, trying to get it off. I hesitated for a moment before pulling away from his lips and lifting the shirt above my head.

My bruise on my rib cage had gotten smaller, but it was still there, very visible. He saw it immediately and softly ran his fingers across it.

"Does it hurt?" He asked softly, meeting my eyes.

I shook my head, and motioned for him to take his shirt off as well. He did it and threw it to the floor before pulling me back down to kiss me.

"Can't you stay the night?" George whined, laying in bed under his covers. I had gotten up and was pulling my shorts up. It was about 9:30 and I knew I was pushing my luck with staying there too long.

"I can't, George." I said back, grabbing my shirt off the ground. "You know I want to but my Dad is still home." I leaned down to plant a kiss on his lips before pulling my shirt over my head and smoothing my hair out.

"I know, I know. I just don't want you to leave. It's so hard not talking to you all day." He sat up, swinging his legs over the side of his bed. He put his foot into the leg of his shorts and flung them up to his hands before putting them on.

"I know. I'm sorry. It'll get better eventually, I promise." I sat next to him on the bed and wrapped my arms around his waist, pulling him closer to me and planting a kiss on his temple.

"I know it will. And Clay?" He said, turning towards me. His hand rested in mine.

"Yes?" I asked, raising one of my eyebrows playfully.

"I love you."

Those three words seemed large enough to tip the world.

"I love you too." I choked out, stunned.

He threw his arms around my neck and kissed me all over my face before resting his forehead on mine.

"I've wanted to say that to you for so long. But I love you, I love you, I love you. I can't say it enough." His smile lit up the darkness of his bedroom.

"And I love you too." I couldn't help but smile how. I squeezed around his waist tighter, never wanting to let go.

"Ok you need to go. I don't want you to get in trouble." He let go of me and stood up, putting his shirt on.

I followed him down the stairs and said goodbye to his cat who was laying on the floor near the stairs.

"I'll see you tomorrow. I love you." He said as he held the front door open for me.

"I love you too, George." I said back, giving him another hug before grabbing my bike off of the front lawn and pedaling away.

My heart was full and a smile was spread across my face. The happiness I felt was immense, never having felt it before besides the day I had finally asked George out.

My smile stayed plastered onto my face the whole ride home, yet faded when I turned the corner on my street to see bright red and blue lights of ambulances and police cars lining my driveway and street.

Shorter chapter today, sorry guys😭😭

ANYWAYS HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED AND A SURPRISE FROM ME IS COMING SHORTLY!!! ANY GUESSES?

LEAVE COMMENTS HERE I WILL RESPOND TO ALL OF YOU