Chapter 22

Crickets' chirps echoed in through George's open window. The house was still and outside was a peaceful warmth that wasn't too hot or too cold.

George and I lay under a fluffy blue blanket, his legs over top of mine. It was too hot to go under the actual covers, but a perfect temperature to still get cozied up. George's chest heaved up and down slowly, peacefully. His head on my shoulder, my hands on his back.

Our stomachs were content with the cookies we had made, eating most of them but saving a few for his parents and Nick.

Without moving too much as to disturb George, I turned my head to look at the alarm clock on his bedside table.

9:09. Shit. If my dad was home or even awake, he would definitely be making sure that I was aware of how "late" it was. He would get mad I missed dinner, even though we barely ate together anyway.

Not wanting to leave, I rubbed my hand up and down George's back, the feeling of his shirt meshing together with my calloused fingers. He stirred a bit, possibly drifting off to sleep.

"George." I whispered, patting his back lightly. He groaned but didn't respond. "George." I said slightly louder this time. He picked his head up and looked me in the eyes. "I have to go home."

He frowned and buried his head into my chest, wrapping his arms around me to prevent me from moving. "Please just stay a bit longer." He pleaded.

"I can't, George. I think my dad is home." I ran my fingers through his hair a few times before he picked his head up again, his face inches from mine. He was now laying on my chest, his weight keeping me in place.

"I'm sorry. Go ahead we can talk tomorrow." He rolled off of me and let his head rest on the pillow beside me. I grabbed his hand and ran my thumb up and down his cold skin.

"Alright. I'm sorry I have to go, maybe we can do something tomorrow?" I questioned, standing up and adjusting my shirt.

"Clay, I have a question." He responded, my question going right over his head.

"Go ahead." I slipped my shoes on and grabbed his hands, helping him stand. My hands slipped to his waist and pulled him closer.

"Am I ever going to be able to come to your house? I mean I don't mind being here, but I would still love to go."

The feeling of happiness slipped away from my face. I frowned and let one of my hands drop from his petite waist and run through my hair.

"I'm not sure. Maybe if one day my dad isn't home, but we'll see." Simba pawed at the closed door, meowing angrily to let him in. George looked past me at the bare door and giggled.

"Really, it's no problem if we can't. I don't want to make you uncomfortable." He rested a hand on my chest and stood on his toes to give me a kiss.

"Thank you, text me ok?" I said back, pulling away from the kiss. His hair was messy from laying down, the ruffles looked cute.

"Of course, I'll walk you out to your car." He gave me a smile and took my hand, letting me walk in front of him. Simba had given up on trying to get into the room and was sitting outside the door when I opened it, his big eyes looking up at me.

I smiled at the cat and watched as he ran down the stairs in front of us, almost stumbling because of how fast he had been going. George followed closely behind me, one of his hands interlocked with mine.

The peaceful night sky greeted us as I said goodbye to George's parents and thanked them for dinner. Most houses surrounding us had their lights off, yet a few yellow glows slipped onto the street. I started my car up as one of my legs hung over the side and George leaned on my open car door.