Chapter 23

I know it's been a while, reread the last couple of chapters if you forgot what had happened!!!

The hug with my mom lasted longer than it ever had before.

We both let our tears out and enjoyed the comfort of one another. She held me tighter then she's ever done before; I felt safer than I ever have before. Although the firm grasp she held around my back eventually loosened, allowing me to move.

"Alright honey, you let George know he can come over tomorrow." She said to me, wiping a tear dripping down her cheek.

"I will," I began as my mom stood up from the bed, maneuvering around the mess on the floor, "and mom?"

She turned back towards where I had been sitting, hand on the doorknob to exit the room. "Yes Clay?"

"Thank you. I love you." I croaked, voice hoarse from crying. I needed my mom to know that after everything we've been through, that love would never go away no matter how bottled up my emotions were.

"I love you too." She said back in almost a whisper. "Get some sleep." She walked out of the room and closed the door gently, leaving me alone in the silent room.

I didn't move for a while. Just simply sat on my bed, facing the wall. Thinking. Thinking about how I always sacrificed myself for my mom, yet was never thanked. Something inside my mom was changing for the better, and I couldn't be happier.

I decided to finally call George. Picking up my phone from my bed, I quickly found his contact and called him. I decided against FaceTime since my eyes were most likely red from crying still, and the last thing I wanted was for him to be worried about me.

He picked up after a few rings. "Hey." He said in a cheerful tone.

"Hey." I said back quietly, a small smile spreading across my face.

"What's up?" He asked, shuffling around on the other end of the line.

"Not much, just wanted to ask you something." I then swung my legs onto my bed and laid back onto my pillows. My free hand rested beneath my head.

"Everything alright?" He questioned. "You sound sad."

"Yea everything's fine. Just wanted to ask if you'd like to come over tomorrow afternoon." I couldn't help but smile.

"Wait. Really?" He asked. His smile could be heard through the phone. That smile that lit up the room no matter what. It was one of my favorite things.

"Yes really." I laughed a bit at his excitement.

"Oh my God of course I would like to. You're sure that you're ok with it?"

"Yea, i'm all good." I said back, talking through a widening smile.

We talked for a bit longer before he had to go to finish some homework, and I decided to get started on the mess that was my room.

"Alexa connect to my Spotify." I said aloud, staring at the mess on the floor. A Quadeca song started playing, one that Nick had shown me a while ago.

Kneeling down onto a clean spot on the floor, I realized how much stuff I had. I started with the clothes, throwing them all into the already overflowing laundry hamper in the corner of the room. Random shirts that I forgot about and other articles of clothing had been strewn everywhere, and ended up taking up the majority of the space.

I chucked the empty cans and food wrappers into my trash can before looking under my bed to drag the mess out.

More trash and clothes were found, even a pair of white converse that Jack had passed down to me. They still fit even though I had forgotten about them. I threw them near my closet and reached under the bed again to clean the rest of it out.