Chapter 29

I sprung myself forward into Jack's arms and let my head burrow into his shoulder.

"I'm sorry that I was gone for such a long time. I'm here now." He whispered, smoothing the hair on the back of my head.

I stayed in his arms for what felt like hours. The service went on in the room behind us but I clung to Jack and didn't let go. I thought I had lost him forever, but here he was.

George and Nick came looking for me after about 15 minutes. Nick stopped dead in his tracks when he realized I was in Jack's arms, and George had a look of confusion before the realization set in.

Jack stood up and grabbed my hands to help me up as well. Nick stared at Jack with his hands in his pockets, not knowing what to do.

"Nicky." Jack said after studying him for a minute. His arms opened up and let Nick collapse into them, squeezing Jack tight. "I missed you buddy." His head rested on Nick's hair, rocking them back and forth as they hugged.

"Where have you been you fucker." Nick said, his voice muffled by Jack's suit. "Me and Clay missed you so much."

"I know i'm so sorry for leaving without any communication." Jack said, wiping a tear away on his cheek, "I needed to figure life on my own out after I left. I have an apartment about 30 minutes away." Nick let go of Jack and stumbled backwards.

"You've only been 30 minutes away this whole time?" I exclaimed, not fathoming the possibility that my brother was so close the entire time. "I thought you moved out of the state for gods sake."

"I know, but I'm back now. I want to be in your guys lives. I missed you guys and I promise i'm never going to leave again." Jack cried, bringing me and Nick into a hug. "Who's this?" Jack asked, realizing George's presence.

I hesitated for a minute before pulling George over to me by his wrist. "This is George," I began, holding him around the waist, "my boyfriend." I swallowed hard, attempting to read the look on Jack's face.

"Boyfriend huh?" Jack smiled, sticking out his hand for George to shake. Relieve washed over me as George took his hand.

"It's very nice to meet you. I've heard a lot about you." George smiled back and shook his hand. I felt the heat coming off of his back from the weight of his suit jacket.

"Woah a british boyfriend too. My god we have to catch up Clay I feel like I went away to war or something." Jack laughed.

"Did you see mom yet?" I asked him, keeping my arm around George's back. The feeling of him being so close loosened the knots in my chest.

"Not yet. I was sitting in the back row with my girlfriend. I was waiting to see her after the whole service." He said, sneaking a look into the main room. Our mother had just gotten done speaking and was now sitting back with Nick's mom.

We spent the rest of the service out in the hallway. I talked to Jack about life, Nick and George sat and listened. Jack wanted to hear everything he missed while he was gone, and I told him.

When the service ended and people began to invade the hallway, Jack stood up and grabbed my wrist. "I need you guys to meet my girlfriend." He said, motioning for George and Nick to follow as well.

He led me back into the main room of the church towards the back row of seats. A girl sat alone in an empty row with her purse on her lap. She stood as we approached, a small crooked smile on her face.

"Mia, these are my brothers, Clay and Nick." He said pointing at us as he said our names. Nick smiled to himself. "This is Clay's boyfriend, George."

George gave a small wave as Mia smiled at us. She had wavy black hair and wore a black dress. She looked like a very nice person.

"Jack?" I heard someone call from behind us. I turned to see my mother making her way towards us. I could see the shock in her face as she walked, not believing Jack was really here.

"Mom." Jack said, meeting her halfway and engulfing her in a hug.

I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed having Jack here. I felt the tears begin to well in my eyes again but I wiped them away quickly. Jack made the family complete again, and there was no way I was letting him disappear again.

"Get your feet off of the dashboard." I said to George, taking a hand off of the steering wheel to smack his foot.

Jack had invited us to his apartment for the day to catch up. It was the day after the funeral and I felt as though I needed to spend every second possible with Jack. George sat in the passenger seat with the back row empty as Nick was not allowed out of his house due to his failing biology grade.

"But it's comfortable like this." George replied, smiling at something on his phone screen. He shuffled his feet over on the dashboard to be out of my reach.

"What if I crash and your leg snaps off? Then it won't be very comfortable." I replied, looking over George's shoulder to see where to make the next turn.

"Why must you be so morbid?" He said back, now looking at me with a scared look on his face. He took his feet off of the dashboard and placed them on the floor. I grinned as I made the final turn into Jack's apartment complex.

I parked in an empty spot and ran around to the other side of the car to open George's door for him, but he beat me to it.

"You're an idiot." He laughed, smacking my hand away. I rolled my eyes and led him to the building.

Jack's apartment was on the 4th floor so we waited for the elevator in the lobby.

After about 5 minutes of trying to figure out which way to go in the confusing hallways of his floor, we eventually found the correct apartment. I hesitated for a moment before knocking quietly, not knowing if they would even be able to be heard.

A few seconds later Mia opened the door with a warm smile across her face. She stepped aside to let us in. George and I slipped our shoes off and set them next to the door.

The apartment was very open, with a decent sized modern looking kitchen off to the side. The large windows at the back gave an overlook into the city and the busy streets below.

"Hey guys! I'm glad you could make it." Jack said as he emerged from a hallway. He gave each of us a hug and motioned for us to join him over in the living room. We followed and took a seat on his very comfortable couch.

We talked for what felt like forever. Mia and George had gone to the kitchen for snacks but disappeared for about 30 minutes before returning.

When they returned, George had his hands behind his back and Mia's arm was slung around his shoulder.

"I would like everyone's attention to George." She announced. He took his hands out from behind his back to reveal that Mia had painted his nails. The colors alternated from a light purple to light blue.

"They look so good George." Jack said, standing up to get a better look at them.

"I love them." I said afterwards as he sat down next to me. I took his hand into mine to get a better look. The smile on his face made me smile even more.

When we eventually had to go home, Jack gave me and George a long hug and told us to come by anytime, which we promised we would.

The ride home was comfortable. George and I talked about everything and his hand rested in mine the entire time.

When we got to his house he hopped out of the car after giving me a quick kiss. "I love you." He said, his hand still on the door.

My heart skipped a beat.

"I love you too." I said back. He closed the door and ran inside.

My smile stayed on my face the entire ride home. When I got through the front door to my house however, my smile faded.

My mom was on the couch with the tv blasting. Two empty alcohol bottles rested on the ground next to her.

Hi guys🤭