Chapter 19

The smile never left my face as George and I decided it would be best to get going. The sun was completely set and the stars started appearing in the luminous sky. I managed to snap a picture of George looking over the guardrail at the water, the moonlight lighting him up enough to be seen in the photo. The smile on his face was my favorite part of the picture, he looked adorable.

George and I were mostly quiet on the way home, just enjoying each other's company. I couldn't help but glance over at him every once in a while, the smile plastered onto his face was contagious.

I put the car in park and turned to face George once we arrived at his house. Instead of getting out of the car after unbuckling his seatbelt, he turned to me and pulled me closer by the collar of my flannel and kissed me. One of his hands glided through the hair on the back of my head while the other stayed gripping my collar. My hands went to his hips and around his back, awkwardly trying to make it work with the center console obstructing my path. Our lips moved together in sync as the radio continued to play quietly in the background.

He pulled away after a while, a frown on his face. "I don't want you to leave."

I bent one of my arms and placed it on the center console, leaning on it as I looked at him. "I know, I'm sorry."

"Can't you come in for a bit? You can stay the night, my parents won't care I promise." He pleaded, still gripping my flannel lightly. As much as I wanted to, I knew that my dad was home and would notice if I didn't come home. He only noticed I was gone in the most inconvenient times.

"I can't, my dad is home. I'm sorry Georgie." I tilted his chin up with my thumb so he was looking up at me.

"It's alright." He responded, his eyes meeting my own. I leaned down and kissed him softly before he got out and ran inside. I gripped the steering wheel and leaned my head back against the seat, exhaling as a smile creeped onto my face. The night had gone perfectly. I turned the radio down and drove home in silence, replaying the night over and over in my mind.

Both of my parents' cars had been parked in the driveway and the living room light was on. I quietly crept through the front door to avoid waking my parents up if they had been sleeping. To my surprise, my mother had been sitting on the couch with the tv on, and she was still awake.

"Hi mom." I whispered, dropping my car keys onto the small table next to the front door.

"Hi Clay. Where were you?" She asked, giving me a slight and crooked smile.

"Just out with a friend. Is dad asleep?"

"Yea he is asleep, be quiet going up the stairs. You look very nice honey."

"Thanks mom. Goodnight." I climbed the stairs, taken aback by the comment she had made. She was sober, and she was complimenting me. Not that she insulted me often, but instead she barely spoke to me. The night just kept getting better.

As soon as my bedroom door closed, Nick had Facetimed me. I slid to answer and propped the phone up on my bed. I slipped my shoes off as Nick's voice echoed through the phone.

"Hey thereeeee. How was your night?" He dragged his words out and spoke in a high pitched tone.

"It was just a normal night. I don't know what you're talking about." I joked, throwing my socks towards the hamper in the corner of my room. I missed both, which is why I did not play basketball.

"Give me the details or I will call George and make him tell me himself." He held the phone close to his face. Not a very attractive angle.

"Fine, fine. What do you want to know?" I took the chain off and placed it neatly on the table beside my bed.