Chapter 14

George had decided to call me repeatedly, making me have to  put my phone on silent mode since it had been buzzing too much. Seeing his name on the screen with the stupid picture set as the profile picture made my heart hurt. I almost missed him, and ignoring him when he was so upset definitely was not the best way to handle the situation, but I couldn't think of something better to do. I wanted to talk to him, but I was scared of saying the wrong thing and making him even more upset.

We pulled into Nick's driveway and he got out of the car first before making his way to my door and opening it. I unbuckled my seatbelt and put my arm around his shoulder as his arm slid around my back to help me out of the car.

I still felt dizzy as we made our way into the house and up the stairs. I fell into Nick's bed and brought my knees to my chest, hugging them as I tried not to let myself cry again. Nick sat down next to me and softly rubbed my back, calming me down again.

"Do you want some water?" Nick asked, running his fingers through my hair. The back of his hand rested on my forehead. "You feel warm."

I shook my head to refuse, yet he insisted and stood up to grab me a water bottle from downstairs. I brought my hand to my forehead to realize the warmth of it. I had been crying so much that I gave myself a fever. This was the first time in years that I had cried this hard, even when Jack left, I only let myself shed a few tears.

Nick returned shortly and placed a plastic water bottle in my hand. I hesitated before twisting the cap off and taking a small sip, the cool liquid refreshing my scratchy throat. Nick's phone started ringing, his facial expression dropping as he read the name of the caller.

"It's George. Gimme a second." He held up a finger to me as he answered and held the phone to his ear. "Hey bud, are you alright?" His tone was quiet and comforting as if he had been talking to a toddler.

I could not hear what George said in return, but I could see the pain in Nick's face, almost like this was hurting him as much as it had been hurting George. He rubbed the back of his neck and exited the room, talking at a small whisper. I took another small sip of my water and stared up at the ceiling, lost in thought.

Nick was gone for about 5 minutes before he entered the room again. He wore a frown, and his eyes had been filled with worry. He sat next to me on the bed and put his hand on my shoulder.

"Is he alright?" I asked, already knowing the answer. How could he be alright when I had been ignoring him?

"As good as you'd expect. I reassured him that you don't hate him and that you need some time." He turned his gaze to me and my eyes met his. "You can't ignore him forever you know."

"I know. I just don't know how to talk to him right now."

"I know that it's hard, but you need to figure it out. You just broke that boy's heart and you need to fix it. It doesn't have to be with a relationship if you don't want it to be, but at least talk to him and tell him that it's not his fault." Nick laid on his side and propped his head up on his hand, facing me.

"Ok, I will soon. I just need some more time to figure things out." Nick nodded in agreement before speaking again.

"Can I give my opinion?" I nodded in response. "Alright, well, I really think that deep down in your heart, you want to be with him. The thing holding you back right now is the thought of him leaving or you messing something up. But maybe you should give it a try. Take some chances. Branch out."

I swallowed hard, looking down at the mattress below me. Nick seemed to know more about my feelings than I did, which made me upset in a way. I should know my own feelings, but I could not figure them out no matter how hard I tried.

"Didn't mean to overwhelm you. Just wanted to give my opinion. Wanna watch something on Netflix?" He laid his head against his headboard and reached for the remote on his nightstand, turning the TV on in front of us.

I nodded and sat up a bit to see the screen. I checked my phone to see many missed call notifications and texts from George. I threw my phone to the end of the bed to stop myself from looking, as it only hurt me more.

"Can I pleaseeee show you Haikyuu? You'll like it." He whined, looking over at me while clicking on the show.

"Nope. Why don't we watch like The Office or something." He sighed and scrolled until he found The Office and clicked on it, the episode we last left off on starting.

"You are so boring, you know that right?" Nick said. I laughed slightly and turned my attention back to the screen. A small knock could be heard from the door. "Come in Mom." Nick said loudly, not moving his eyes off of the TV.

"Hey Clay. How are you feeling?" She asked in a soft tone, sitting down on the edge of the bed, her hand on my shin.

"I'm doing better." I said, my voice still raspy. She gave a small smile as I spoke. I could tell she had been worried about me.

"Are you hungry at all?" I shook my head, my appetite had been lost completely. "Alright, well if you need anything just ask. We still have a small bottle of Motrin in the cabinet for you if your head hurts or anything, remember take two only." She said, standing up and walking out of the room.

I took a deep breath and moved a bit closer to Nick on the bed. "Thanks for always being here for me." I said quickly, not wanting to get sentimental.

"You're welcome dude. I love you man." He responded, turning to me and smiling.

"I love you too." I let myself sink into the pillow behind me, my eyes closing slowly without my control.

I fell asleep quickly, the sound of the TV in the background and Nick's quiet laughs in the background as I entered a dream.

Finally an update! Sorry it took so long, I had basically no motivation for this chapter :(

Anyway, exciting next few chapters so expect quicker updates!