chapter 18

⚠️ mental health, guns

Alyssas POV

"Alyssa...please come home."

As I'm trying to comprehend what my mom said to me, the light turns green. I'm trying to step on the gas but my foot feels heavy. All the cars behind me start honking, some going around and yelling out their windows.

"Oh, um." I couldn't get much out. I finally pushed my foot down and the car jolted.

"We really need to talk to you. All three of us." She sound so concerned but at this point I didn't know if I could believe it.

"I can't talk right now." I said. I tried thinking of who the third person might be. Lily would have reached out if she came back home so I'm sure that it's not her. "What do you mean 'all three'?" I asked.

"Just come by, you need help." I could hear her starting to cry. She hung up and I sighed putting my phone back down.

What could I possibly need help with? She's the one who needs mental counseling, her and my dad. They clearly couldn't see how horrible I was when I was living with them. My own mother literally passed my sexual assault as if it were normal to have happened.

I locked the car and sped walked to the front door of Alejandro's house. They were all at the table eating, laughing, and talking amongst each other. I tried to walk to the white marble stairs quietly but my tears blocked my view and I knocked a picture over.

"Alyssa, is that you?" Camila asked from the dining room. I sniffled and wiped my tear picking up the frame.

Taking a deep breath in, I prepared to speak. "Yeah it's me. I'm, uh, actually going out again." I hoped no one would come out and see me but of course, Camila and Alejandro came to the stairs.

"What's wrong?" He asked wiping my tears. I sighed resting my head in the palm of his hand.

"Do you need to me to go with you?" Camila asked.

"Please." I said just above a whisper.

****

The house was the same as I left it. As soon as we pulled in, I found out who the third person was. I wasn't happy that he was here and needed to know asap why he wanted to talk.

Camila helped me out of the car. My mom, dad, and Liam were sitting outside on the porch, all giving me pitiful looks.

"I don't know if I can do this." I said to Cami.

"You'll be fine." She reassured me.

We got closer and they stood up. Liam had puffy eyes and I chuckled to myself. Faking everything but he still has my parents wrapped about his fingers.

My dad opened the door for everyone and waited for us to get in.

"I'm not going inside, we can talk out here." I stood in my spot and crossed my arms. Camila stayed back a couple feet.

"That's the unusual behavior I was talking about." Liam said.

"Why are you even here?" I snapped at him. Obviously he was behind this. He was probably the one that made my mom call me.

"Because I care about you and I love you. I want you to get the help you need." He faked his tears again and sat down wiping them.

"What help? I don't need anything from you." I walked a little closer to them and watched as my mom jumped back. "What are you so afraid of?"

"Alyssa, you're scaring me. Liam spoke to a psychiatrist and a psychologist. He told them everything that's going on and they say you may have Bipolar Disorder."

Wow. That's a new low for Liam. Why am I not surprised he would make up a lie to get me back with him.

I laughed. "No, I've just grown and learned a lot these past few months from you people."

"That sick son of a drug lord change her. I bet you do drugs now too." My dad scoffed. I opened my mouth in disbelief. I could hear Camila in the bushes laughing.

"She was always switching up personalities and having these crazy mood swings with me." Liam cried some more.

"Dad, you know I know better than to do hard drugs, and Liam, shut the fuck up."

"Don't talk to him like that!" My parents yelled at the same time. "He's emotionally scarred from you."

"No he's not! I'm the one that has trauma. I'm your daughter for fucks sake and you'd rather believe this manipulative, horrible person."

"We got you a room at the psych ward, they're on their way to get you." My dad said.

"What?" I gave them a confused look. "I don't need you, I don't need anything from you." I backed away.

"Come on let's go." Camila grabbed my arm but Liam came running and pulled her hand away from mine.

"It's for your own good. I'll be by your side forever my love." He said wrapping his arms tightly around me.

I fought as hard as I could but stopped when the sudden sound of gunshots filled the air. Camila grabbed my arm and we ducked behind garbage cans.

"What the fuck is going on?" She asked out of breath. I looked up and saw a whole bunch of people dressed in all black with black trench coats on.

"It's Mattia." I said. They were shooting everywhere but missing everyone. He threw a gun to a guy I recognized. "Caleb?"

"Huh? What do you mean Caleb?!" Camila asked freaking out. Calebs with the Italian cartel now...

"We have to get out of here." I grabbed her hand and we ran to the car. The shooting stopped and we peaked our heads up. I didn't see any blood or bodies on the floor, just a whole bunch of broken glass.

"This would've never happened if you just stayed with me!" Liam was furious. I wonder if now my parents would see he's the crazy one and not me.

"You put our life in danger and you ruined our house." My mom cried covering her face with her hands. She looked around and shook her head at the damages.

"This isn't my fault..." I said to myself knowing they couldn't hear. It wouldn't make a difference if they did. No one would care. "Let's just leave. I should've never came here."

The drive back was quiet. Camila was still shocked at what just happened. I'm not sure why I wasn't feeling the same. I just kept replaying seeing Caleb over again in my head.

It must've been Mattia who was talking to Caleb in the parking lot earlier.

"It is my fault." I spoke up.

"No, no it's not. You didn't know this would happen."

"I breakup with Liam and my dad almost loses his job and kicks me out. I called things off with Caleb who was such a sweet person, then he joins Mattia in this stupid fight. I should've expected something bad to happen."

"You didn't because you expected the opposite to happen. Nothing is your fault. Boys are just stupid."

Alejandro and his mom were outside in the garden watering the plants.

"I guess we have to tell them what just happened."

I nodded and slowly walked to them. Ale turned and looked at me. The smile on his face grew faster than his flowers and he welcomed me with open arms.

"Where did you go?" He asked.

"My parents house." I said. Camila nudged me and whispered 'tell him' in my ear.

"Tell me what?"

I rolled my eyes at her and turned back to face him.

"Something happened...Mattia and like ten guys, Caleb being one of them, showed up and started shooting everywhere."

He smile on his face was wiped off and replaced with anger. "I'm gonna kill him."