chapter 33

Alyssas POV

I couldn't get myself to stop staring at the ring. At a job interview last week, I was too distracted playing with it against my fingers and did not get the job.

After that, me and Alejandro collectively agreed I wouldn't start working until after our move.

He wasn't home right now. Ale went out on his own to buy some stuff for the apartment and I stayed back to rest.

So far everyone has been very supportive of us getting married. My parents even tried reaching out and congratulated me. It was shocking at first but I guess they came to their senses.

There was loud continuous banging at the door and I ran to open it. I stood there trying to comprehend what was happening.

"Adriana?" I said. She uncrossed her arms and shoved me to the side. I watched as she sat on the leather couch and gave me a glare.

There was a slight eye roll but she didn't see because her back was turned on me.

"Call off the engagement." Her voice was soft and sweet but her words weren't. I walked in front of her and gave a questioning look.

"What?"

"You heard me." Adriana stood up. "You're not marrying my son. He's gonna work with me again and if he marries you then he won't. I should've never let him date you."

I chuckled a little. "That's funny because I remember the day he left you said if he walked away he isn't your son anymore. Adriana, you really have no say in what goes on his life now, and it wasn't up to you to let him date me either, all him." I tried being strong and looking tough so she wouldn't chew me up and spit me out.

She still intimidates me. She's a scary woman.

"You're not fucking marrying him! He only did those things because he's grieving the loss of his best friend."

We went back and forth on this topic. It just happened so quick but thank god I was quicker with a comeback.

"You got abandonment issues? You get attached to people hoping they won't leave you like everyone else? Is that why you killed Mattia? So Ale could see you'd do anything for him and he'd stick by your side?"

"You need to leave. Right now." I was getting tired of it by now. She was eating away at me and she knew what she was doing.

"Not until that ring on your finger is in the trash."

"I don't have time or patience to deal with your childish games right now." I sighed.

"Oh then I'll come back tomorrow to tell you about the two kids Ale's expecting."

I stood there quietly not letting her know it got me thinking. I think she's lying just to make me call off the engagement.

We both stared at each other until the door was thrown open. Alejandro came in with shopping bags and set them on the floor when he noticed who was in front of him.

Adriana chuckled and crossed her arms again, repeating what she told me about the two girls.

"Alejandro, tell her about how you got those girls pregnant before meeting her."

He stood there with an angry look and walked by me.

"I didn't get anyone pregnant and I don't know what the fuck you're doing here but if it's to break us up and take me with you, then fuck you. I'm staying here." he said. "I don't need you and I don't ever want to see you again."

Alejandro knew exactly what was going on. He didn't push me behind him like he would usually do when he was about to fight someone. We stood side by side.