chapter 35

AlyssasPOV

I was picking up my wedding dress today after lunch with Lily. She called me this morning as soon as I woke up and wanted me to meet with her for lunch. I had just woken up so the call was registering in my head but her tone was scary. It reminded me of my mom when she was about to yell at me for something or tell me something about me that she didn't like.

"I really wanna see that dress." Ale said rolling over and smiling at me.

"Well you can wait until our wedding day, and have you spoken to the planner? She told me she had some questions about the set up."

He rolled his eyes and turned back around to his side of the bed. "I'll call her later."

I got up from the bed and put my shoes on. '"No, you'll call her now." I grabbed my purse and keys then left.

The thought of meeting my sister for lunch scared me. I know she has something to tell me. I don't know what it might be about but I know she has something, because the anxiety I'm feeling in my stomach never lies.

I turned a corner and saw her waving to me. I happily, but anxiously, got out the car and ran to her. She already had drinks at the table for us.

"A margarita this early?" I asked while pulling a chair out.

"Yup." she popped the P and took a big sip from hers. I drank mine too, making a face afterwards. Im not much of a drinker. I only do it when I need to unwind but never the hard stuff.

"So I asked you to meet with because I wanted to have a talk with you." Lily sound like she was dreading having to be here but she pushed through.

"Yeah, go ahead." the alcohol didn't taste good but I couldn't stop drinking it in this moment.

"So, I know I haven't been in your life much these past few years and I missed out on a lot. You clearly needed your big sister to guide you through some things but I can tell that my absence made you strong person, a smart one too."

"Yeah..." I said.

"Which is why I'm still trying to process why you're getting married so quick, because it just doesn't make sense."

There it is. "What?" I questioned her. I'm fully capable of making my own decisions and knowing whether or not they're good ones. I don't know where this is coming from. "I thought you were happy for me."

"Alyssa, I don't know. I feel like you had so much on your plate that you're trying to knock off the bad and replace it with the good. you've known this guy for, like, what, seven months? Not even a year and you're gonna marry him?"

I sat back and sighed. "You're the one person who was missing from my life and you left because mom and dad were assholes to you, but right now, you kind of remind me of them.. you're the person who I thought was going to be there for me 110% and support me with this decision, and-"

"I want to." she said.

"Lily, don't cut me off because now I'm pissed. You really have no say in this because you were gone, you left me alone to deal with shitty people. I could have used you when I was dating Liam. But you know who popped into my life instead? Alejandro. He came to me. Like the universe had my back, he saved me from so much trauma."

"Do you realize what you're doing?" She asked me.

"Yeah, and if that bothers you then don't even think of coming to the wedding.." I crossed my arms.

"Please, Alyssa, I wanna be there for you but you're making this hard. He put you in danger!"

"He didn't! It was all me. I knew what I was getting myself into but I did it anyway. There's no stopping this wedding." I said.

"I think, deep down, you wish you ran away with me. You wish I had taken you to LA with me when I left and if that would have happened, you would've never met Ale. Deep down you wish that you never met him. You would have still had a good relationship with mom and dad."

I stayed quiet. I did think it at one point but I'm happy I stayed and he is still in my life. Lily just wants me to do what she's telling me to do.

"You could have been a better sister." I got up from the table and pushed my chair in. Lily sighed and did the same but walked in the opposite way.

I did my breathing exercises to keep me from crying but it was hard. My throat felt like it was closing and hands felt sweaty.

"God, what is with these people and wanting to stop my happiness?" I said to myself.

I actually don't feel like I'm making a mistake. It feels amazing and familiar and like I'm going in the right direction.

It's me and Alejandro til the end.