Chapter 7

"Maraming salamat nga pala at tinulungan mo ako noong lunes ng gabi

"Maraming salamat nga pala at tinulungan mo ako noong lunes ng gabi. Hindi ako nakapag pasalamat kasi bigla kang nawala. Mabuti na lang at sinuwerte akong makita ka ngayon."

The lack of sincerity in her voice tickles something inside me.

Something horrifying.

Something that will put her underground. 

When she starts to walk away from me, I imagine grabbing her arm, forcing and dragging her to the nearby fountain. I'll then hold her head and keep her head under the mossy water.  I can already imagine how well and strongly she'll protest, how some of the dirty water will splash onto my clothes as she fights for her life. How her hair will nicely become damp and knot around my fingers, and how that rude and stupid mouth will bubble until it calms. 

But of course, I can't do that. No matter how much I want to. Given that this part of the university is open, I can't also risk anything illegal unless I want to get caught in the most stupid way.

I ominously get to my feet and follow her tracks once I am satisfied with our distance. We are several meters away from each other and despite being in my most lucid state, the itch to kill that ungrateful wench is strangely tempting. 

My mind goes back to the 30-minute iteration earlier. Judging from her scars, it looks like she is indeed a former soldier as I've guessed that Monday night. Without her panic attacks, she looks normal and pretty carefree, so I'm assuming it's been years since she left. 

What ticks me off is, she looks young to have left the service. I bet it's connected to her mental condition, rendering her unfit to serve anymore. 

Her muscles say otherwise though. Like, her grip? It's intact. One of the small reasons why I can't kill her right here is because of the possibility of her overpowering me. 

Her steel grip, her combat experience, and her height? I'm not a fool to underestimate it even though I haven't witnessed all of it. She is the kind of target that I need a plan from A to F. 

Maintaining a menacing pace, I maintain a good distance between us. She is down to cross the Intramuros drive when I catch a glimpse of a familiar face, causing me to stop from following and halt on a nearby tree.

"So, ano gusto mong kainin?" Shaina said, excited like they will do a slumber party or something. It's been a while since I saw that smile of hers, she used to look at me like that every time I asked her to have lunch together, but now... ha, you can guess it. 

The girl accepts the head protector from Shaina, confirming that she is conversing with the wench and they are acquainted with each other.

"Gimbap?"

Shaina pouts and looks up, probably thinking of a good place to eat the specific dish the wench just suggested. They are near each other now, so I don't hear the rest of their conversation until they depart. Completely oblivious to my presence behind one of the trees in a line.