Chapter 19

It was past eight o'clock when the meeting adjourned

Right after the clients clarified some of the take aways, I immediately closed my laptop to sleep. I had corrections to re-read and manuscript to edit tonight, and I will take no distractions just to finish a chunk.

"Mr. Lee!"

Although I was itching to leave, I quickly composed myself and smiled as Mr. Sung approached. "Yes?"

"I just want to commend your great attention to detail and your ability to distill complex data into actionable insights." He remarked. "You've been an invaluable asset to your company."

I nodded appreciatively at the compliment. "Thank you."

Mr. Sung nodded, his smile and eyes still attentive and calculative. 

Ah, I've seen these cues. It's the same body language fathers would often use when they wanted to ask my father to have their daughters dance with me when I was young. 

A dance that could create a rumor. A chemistry. A power. All for the sake for securing the wealth of ones lineage.

But I what if I want to act fool?

"Is there anything you want to discuss with me?"

"Oh! Well..." He cleared his throat before proceeding. "You just seem so... poised and well educated judging from your table etiquette.  Are you perhaps, a son of a politician?"

"I'm not, but my parents used to own the biggest hospitals in Korea." I said truthfully. I was never secretive about it, it's just so rare for people to ask about my whereabouts. 

"Really?" the old man chuckled in delight. "If that's the case then I was right. You are a gentleman."

I want to reciprocate that chuckle with a sardonic one. 

"My eomma taught me to be one. Don't know if she was successful, though."

Mr. Sung laughed as if I've just told him a good joke. 

"I'm sure she's proud of what you've become."

I suppressed a snicker.

Damn, is she?

"Well, Mr. Lee." He used his pointed finger to scratch the side of his right lip. "Are you single?" 

I blinked at the question. 

He ran out of patience easily.

"I am."

"Do you have someone in mind? I mean, are you pursuing someone at the moment?"

"I'm not pursuing anyone." I said while tucking my laptop inside my briefcase. "Even though my work is not demanding and I'm already at the right age, maybe the right person has yet to come."