Chapter 1

As a kid who was raised by a self-entitled family, I have always been aware of my talents

At the age of three, I had already memorized the 206 bones of the human body.

"He is a prodigy."

I was busy labeling the skull part of the skeleton model when my Eomma said that with pure admiration.

"He'll follow our footsteps," Appa replied with certainty.

True to his words, Appa taught me how to draw blood from veins, inject drugs into animals, and dissect frogs and rats to understand the anatomy of different living organisms when I was just 5 years old.

"The rat is pregnant," I told Appa.

"Rats multiply easily, they won't go extinct if we kill one of them," he said and then patted my head, "It doesn't matter, Min Seok."

I looked down at the rat, it was already paralyzed but still breathing.

"Now, use the scalpel to hold the head then destroy the spine by pulling the tail," he instructed while handing me the scalpel, "If you hear a snap, cut the abdomen."

I followed his instructions and held the scalpel under its chin. I pinned the tail and slowly pulled to snap the spine. While doing that, I could feel the rat's stare on me, giving its killer one last glance before it succumbed to nothingness.

As its eyes started to settle down, millions of unexpected questions popped in my mind. Like if I'm going to be a doctor, is it ethical that I took this rat's life? That I snapped its spine like it's normal? That it's not debatable?

"It's for the sake of knowledge, Min Seok," Eomma answered while fixing my tie, " We, humans, are at the top of the food chain. We should not waste that advantage."

Instead of eating my steak, I observed it. I didn't mind its rawness, but the presence of blood is another story.

Above the cackle of my relatives and elders is the cry of the cattle in my head. The sound of the clacking knives as the butcher slit its throat, blood dripping from its large wound, body stiffening and cornea losing reflex. My mind came back to the rat I killed, I could still remember the way it looked at me, the way it surrendered, and the way it died...

I started to eat my steak, gulping every inch of it raw, including the unsavory taste of iron.

We, humans, are at the top of the food chain. We should not waste that advantage.

At that moment, I realized that life was meaningless. We are made to survive and if we are meant to die that day, then we will. No one can expand its span. It's like betting on a toss coin, if it's meant to land on the head side then the tail will face the dirt.

That's why when I said I don't want to be a doctor at the age of 10, I received two slaps. One from my Eomma and one from my Appa.

For the first time in my life, I saw a different impression in their eyes.